Jaguar Keeps Waking !!!

Insp.Gadget

Registered
Can someone please help before I go back to Windows !!!! :eek: I have always put my G4 tft imac to (deep) sleep of a night and during the day whilst I'm at work, but just recently it wakes after about 30 minutes and then won't go to sleep again. I don't want the processor fan running all the time so leaving it on 24/7 is not an option.

The only things I have installed recently are the Security Update 2002-11-21" (1.0) and the Carbon Sound Manager Update" (6.0.2) - does anyone know if either of these updates include a bug that stops jaguar from sleeping ?

Failing that, does anyone know of a definitive list of things that causes it to wake (I know light coming in though the casing is one to stop people trying to fix it while on).

Apologies if this has been asked before but i couldn't find anything on the search apart from problems with getting it to sleep in the first place !

All i have running is mail (set to check mail every hour), itunes and ical. Sleep is set to every 25 minutes automatically (could this be the problem ??)

Thanks
Greg

I have this problem intermittently, but it only really started after installing a wireless mouse... I figure it must be stray signals causing the wake up. I haven't tried disconnecting the mouse, since this doen't really bother me.

Mine at work seems to have issues sleeping at times too. I put it to sleep it goes to sleep and wakes up seconds later. Then it won't go back to sleep.

Never did figure out a solution. But i don't think it has done it lately. Not since i changed my screensaver. I had a christmas lights screensaver and my computer got stuck in the screansaver and i had to restart. i wasn't happy.

Twister

Mine would do that every now and then, annoyed the heck out of me since I cant just turn the monitor off and the hard drive spinning back up would wake me. :p

I finally turned off "Put the hard disk to sleep when possible" (in Energy Saver Prefs) and it stoped.

Might not be the solution you are looking for, but it works out for me since I have a couple of cron jobs going on over night anyway.

Thanks everyone, I'll try de-activating the "put hard drive to sleep whenever possible" option although over the course of today it seems to have done it less.

unplug all usb devices and try to sleep it.

Then reattach one by one - put to sleep - wait

test all the devices, I know my HP printer cause problems.

Do you have any fans or other electrical appliances hooked up in the same general area? Something that might send out a spike every once in a while? Turning my fan on will wake up my PowerBook. Although it doesn't sound like this is your problem since it happens in the middle of the night. Just a thought.

Thanks for all your suggestions. jeb1138 you may have hit the nail on the head, just recently I have been leaving the heating on low during the night and it's possible the boiler switching on may be spiking. I wasn't aware this was something that caused it to wake.
I thought the surge protector I was running everything through would of stopped this but maybe not.........I will test tonight.
Thanks again

So does this mean you won't leave us for Windows? :D

If an electrical spike really is the problem you might want to take a quick look at this posting on another site, which I happened to remember when I read your thread:
http://www.macfora.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=7348

People who know more than I do about such things said that surge protectors won't stop smaller spikes which can cause this, and that a UPS should fix the problem, although it would be quite pricey as well.

Hmm... My TiBook wakes from sleep when I have set Energy Saver to 'wake on network activity' or something like that. Are you sure those are set to off?

I think I may invest in a UPS, they are about £60 over here ($100) and surely that's gotta be cheaper than repairing a Mac when a part of its internals has had enough of constant switching on and off ???

Oh and I definitely won't be going back to windows, I've had a bite of the apple and I'm hooked....

Back