Jaguar: Lid closed operation?

ropers

Registered
Currently, with Mac OS X 10.1.5, if I close my iBook in OS X, it goes to sleep. Unconditionally. There is no way I can prevent it going to sleep and keep it running w/ just the screen dimmed and closed. (If you know a way, pls email me. q@ropersonline.com)

On this Apple page, under I/O and Device Support, it says that Lid closed operation was a feature of Jaguar.

Can anybody who might have a beta, etc. pls confirm this?

Does Jaguar really allow lid closed operation on iBooks?

I ran Apple about this, but (as usual) they were not very helpful (((is that only because I'm in Ireland and not in the US? - has anybody had better experiences?))) and couldn't even elaborate on or interpret their own website posting (which doesn't even surprise me anymore, silly me).

Any help greatly appreciated.
It wouldn't be the first time that I made the experience that the Mac community is the real McCoy and Apple... well... just coy. (cheesy joke)

what i would like is to be able to choose between HD spindown, Display shutoff, or total shut down. then i would be able to listen to music as i ride me bike to school (that would be cool) so ya if anyone knows about that do tell

It is very bad for your LCD screen to be on whilst lid is closed. If you're after a mode where LCD is off and Mac stays on then cool. Otherwise I'd give your screen 3 months then it would die.

Apple tries hard to keep laptops silent so they produce a lot of heat, the heat will slowly destroy LCD screens.

Originally posted by alexachucarro
It is very bad for your LCD screen to be on whilst lid is closed. If you're after a mode where LCD is off and Mac stays on then cool. Otherwise I'd give your screen 3 months then it would die.

Apple tries hard to keep laptops silent so they produce a lot of heat, the heat will slowly destroy LCD screens.

The LCD wouldn't need to be on ;)
In 9.2.1, I think the computer stays on if you close the lid when a monitor is connected to the VGA output. Or was it 10.0?

I have a 2.5 year old pismo 400 that I use everyday for 8 hours + with the lid closed and my LCD is fine. I was running 9.2.2 and since OS X.1.5 was released that has become my main OS (operating the computer with the lid closed didn't seem to work until 10.1.5). Under 9.2.2 I would check the processor temperature from time to time and it would only increase substantially if the CDROM was being used. I work in a laboratory that is keep around 72° and has good air circulation so this may help keep the temperature down. YMMV so if it works make sure the temperature doesn't shoot up. You could also prop the back of the computer up so more air moves beneath the computer. I don't know how hot an ibook running at nearly double the speed of my machine and with a heavier, thicker case will get so it may be that the heat dissipation is just not good enough to allow this type of operation.

I don't know if the ibook supports this function but this is how I set up my computer to operate with the lid closed:

With the computer asleep I plug in everything but the USB cable. I plug the USB cable in last because it causes that computer to wake up (at least on my computer).

The computer wakes up as if it were a desktop machine and I am ready to go. The monitor activates with the correct resolution and automatically changes the color from million to thousands.

When I am ready to leave I put the computer to sleep and remove the cables, saving the USB for last. Sometimes the computer will wake up but as soon as I unplug the power it goes right back to sleep.

I haven't been able to get my (white) iBook to stay awake.
(and no, I don't want to leave the display on)

Again, if there was anyone who's actually using Jaguar, preferably even on an iBook out there? Please?

Originally posted by ropers
I haven't been able to get my (white) iBook to stay awake.
(and no, I don't want to leave the display on)

Again, if there was anyone who's actually using Jaguar, preferably even on an iBook out there? Please?

I'll try on monday :)

I have an ibook700 and 6c115 and it goes to sleep when I close the lid, there is no option in energy saver or monitors for lid closed
:(

He must be refering to your computer running with the screen shut in some geek code... :rolleyes:

Anyways though, I left my white iBook (running 10.2) with the screen shut in Target Disk Mode (starting up holding the 't' key down, it makes your computer an external hard drive... it leaves the screen blue with a little yellow bouncing firewire symbol) and the screen didn't go off... I thought nothing of it, and I must have left it on like that for a few days, when I opened it back up, there were diffrent color blue lines vertically across the screen, and what looked like dripping liquid crystal display stuff. I restarted the computer, and the screen went black, but then the lines came back. I rendered it unusable, and unfixable to me, so I sent it to an Apple store (after wiping the hd through Target Disk Mode which still seemed to work). I will get it back in around 8 days.

Moral of the story though: if the screen does not go off when you close the book, make sure you shut down (or put to sleep) your computer.

clamshell is -----> Laptop = "tower". you use a external Keybord, Monitor, and Mouse....

but i don't need clam shell I JUST WANT iTUNES TO WORK WHEN I CLOSE THE LID !!!!! :::end's rant:::

I hope I'm not being redundant, but I do know that Apple does _not_ recommend iBooks be operated with the lid closed. They are not designed to operate that way.

Doug

Back