Jaguar LOSES speed on my G4 PowerMac

Originally posted by hypocampers
I set the port on the switch DSL modem (I am taking it as read that you use the DSL modem as the hub) to an exact setting, i.,e. 100fdx and set the Ethernet port on the Mac to match that. Dont' as ke me just now houw to set that speed and duplex on the Mac at this point as I don't know yet.

3. The description suggests something a little odd is going on, on one hand as the problems seem to get worse over time.

Actually, the router and DSL modem are two separate boxes. I got the modem direct from my ISP (Earthlink, Apple's preferred partner over here in YankeeLand) and the router (Linksys) from a third-party retailer. My G4 and iBook both have (only) 10/100 ethernet; only the newer (+/- 1-yr old) G4 desktops (and maybe some PBs?) are equipped with Gigabit ethernet.

Ethernet port settings? Oh, brother! More stuff to learn with my schedule! What ever happened to Macs being plug and play? :( It seems that technology only begets the need for more technology to take care of the stuff we already have.... (If there were a thoughtful, philosophical smilie, this is where I'd insert it. ;) )

All I can say is that right now the performance is acceptable and that I'll monitor the performance over time. This may be something to inform Apple, Linksys and Earthlink about, no?

Don't worry autonegotion problems are not an Apple problem, Sun have it, SGI have it PC have it.

I am not saying that this is where your problem is, autonegotiation is not done at the Ethernet packet level, its done low level signaling at the hardware level. The problems are due to implementation of autonegotiation on routers and switches, not forgetting the computer and their interaction.

Originally posted by hypocampers
Don't worry autonegotion problems are not an Apple problem, Sun have it, SGI have it PC have it.

I am not saying that this is where your problem is, autonegotiation is not done at the Ethernet packet level, its done low level signaling at the hardware level. The problems are due to implementation of autonegotiation on routers and switches, not forgetting the computer and their interaction.

Ok, so if autonegotiation is not a problem with Apple hardware or software, then it's a router (in my case, Linksys) problem?

I apologize for my typing, I've got two broken fingers on my right hand and its very awkward.

If the problem is going to be the router port settings - I hate this bit - get the manual out for the router and have a look at things like port settings, Full Duplex/ Half Duplex, 10/100mbs, and Autonegotiation, the book will tell you how to find out how the ports are set and how to re-set them. Generally speaking you can do this via a couple of buttons on the front pannel and one or two LED will tell you what the machine is set at.

You could also TELNET into the router there should be no problem here, as it has an IP address, from there you can set ports individually from the terminal interface, much easier. The latter is the prefered method, unless it has a Webserver interface as well.

Back