Jaguar Mail and Addresses mess...

lonny

Fearless Thinker
Ok,
I've just purchased Jaguar, made a clean install. Everything is fine evn though it took me a while to reconfigure everything...
I had some problems importing my old backed up contacts list into the new address book app.

Only problem now: Mail doesn't like pictures of my contacts. Images display right into Address Book, but they don't appear at all in Mail message bodies.

Plus, in 10.1 images were stored in the People folder in Library and were clearly visible and named: "email address".tiff. In Jag they have nonsense names and no extension, so it's virtually impossible to modify one...

Anyone messed around with these issues?

uh, mail can display messages???

if i have email addys of friends saved as their nick, and the message comes from the same address with their name it does not recognise it. i tried as a spamfilter as last of the filters "if the sender is NOT in my address book, transfer to xbuffer folder" (not inbox) - and yes, i kept finding ppl DEFINITELLY in my address book and even with images, in that other folder...
and i've never seen it use the images.

exatly. never seen a pic of my buddy in the mail body. a meno che sia stato il buddy a mandarmelo nel messaggio ... :)

Erm... weird!
You had 10.1 before Jaguar? Hope it's not a dismissed feature in the new Mail app...

i did have 10.1.

even that my system IS very stable, i'm thinking jsut to clean it and install jag from zero .. when i'll have done all necessary backups and saved all data etc.

i don't miss that feature. what is the point ot seeing the persons face in the mail?

what is the point ot seeing the persons face in the mail?

Well... same as seeing the buddy's face in iChat... guess it depends on the face though! ;)

C'mon, am I the only one who likes this feature? Is it somehow supported in Jaguar?

Giaguara, how is it that you didn't have this happening in Mail 10.1? This is getting complicated... :confused:

i didn't see that neither in 10.1.

[rant] then again, i have only few ppl in the address book with the same names that they use to send the mail.

i HATE when i don't know some friends last names... so i want to keep ALL contacts in order by first name. i know it's not accademical etc but it's easier.

But i don't understand WHY it does not gert simply the addresses.. that filter "if sender is NOT in address book >> xbuffer folder" i find frequently friends' mails there. and i have saved those names and even some images.. i don't WANT to start to use first names and last names, otherwise it'll end having 50 brads, clays, kens, giovannis, whatever.. and i don' realise who they are unless i see the pic they use for their nick.

i never have the names in the same format in my address book that the normal people use to send their email (addressbook = nickname vs. email normal ppl use Firstname Lastname ) ..

uh, i wonder if anyone has seen my pic ever as sender? [/rant]

Wow! i WAS RIGHT! it's a bug introduced with Jaguar... it's just strange that people haven't noticed/complained that much...

Anyway, here's the solution (paste from Apple discussion http://discussions.info.apple.com/WebX?14@235.8lUuaZLKg4r.56408@.3bbd1863/0 ):

This problem has been around for a long time... I've heard it started with 10.2, but I thought I tried back in 10.0 and had troubles then too. Could be wrong.
Anyway, there is a workaround, but it's annoying that Apple doesn't just fix the problem. Though Mail is not showing the photos (for whatever reason), it *is* looking for them in ~/Library/Images/People/. So if you place TIFF files in that directory with names that match address book's email addresses (with a .tiff appended to the end), Mail will show them.

There is a hack/program available which will automatically extract all the images from your address book and place them in this location for you:
http://www.dasgenie.com/Pages/Software/macosx.php

Again, I really don't like this hack, since it just copies the image, and that goes against the whole "address book keeps everything in one place" concept. But if you just HAVE to have those pictures show up in Mail (as Apple claims they should), then this works until Apple gets into gear and fixes Mail.app.

I made a post of this exact same question on a different mac board. Mine does the EXACT same thing...

Here's a more clear description... On my iMac which I've had for a while, the address book pictures show up fine (I set them up a few weeks ago). On my iBook, however (which I got for Christmas), the address book pictures do NOT show up in the e-mail lists window... Furthermore I cannot set up my .Mac picture on my new iBook even though I do have a .mac account...

Back