Jaguar Networking:thisaddressdoesnotexist

barrowman

Registered
I am having an awful time with the file sharing/networking on my computer. Previously due to my ISP I was having the problem, but it was only showing up in the terminal, now it is showing up in the new sharing settings in Jaguar...

http://www.macosx.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=15256

I can pico'd the hostname to local host, and the terminal is back to the way it was. :D

Basically I really hope someone can help me, as I can't connect to my shared folder remotely (it is turned on) and I can't share my printer (laserwriter 16600) with my PC (it can't find it :confused: )

I am connected to the internet through DSL via a Dynalink router. The router then acts as a DHCP server and gives out IP addresses from 192.168.0.2 onwards to my airport, and then my mac and pc, which can all happilly connect to each other and the internet (the router's address on the network being 192.168.0.1)

the thing is the PPP information is that the IP address of the ISP is 81.86.xyx.xxx and the gateway is 81.86.xxx.1

but all I am getting in my jaguar sharing box, is: thisaddressdoesnotexist... ie users should enter ftp:thisaddressdoesnotexist/user (which obviously wont work)

I hope this explanation is too long winded, but I would really like to be able to share files via the web as well as share my printer... any help to understanding how would be much appreciated...

you are behind a NAT firewall, and indeed your computer's address does not exist on the internet. To share anything to the outside world, you need to let requests from the outside pass through the router to one of the machines on the inside. The request's address will change from 81.86.xx.xx to 192.168.xx.xx as per your instructions. Hopefully this is a feature your router allows. Otherwise, it's time to let the OS X box connect to the DSL modem because it CAN do shoring like a good network citizen. How easy it is to set up ... well, let's hope X.2 improves things. I don't have it yet so I can't say.

As for inside, the local IP address should work. 192.168.xx.xx That address is explicitly forbidden on the internet, it's not real, and can not be given out for use on the internet.

Thanks for that, I thought it was the NAT so I switched it off, but unfortunately then my whole internet connectivity went down :confused:

What address then should be used for websharing and such?

OSX.2 networking is much improved from a surface point of view at least...

If you are not using NAT, then your machine needs to have a legal IP address given to you from your ISP.

Back