Jaguar on 266Mhz iMac 192MB?

tkrul

Registered
Does anyone have experience with running (some beta version) of MacOS 10.2 on a 266Mhz iMac with 192MB internal memory? I'm considering installing Jaguar on my sister's in law iMac. But owning a 600Mhz iBook myself I'm not sure if the MacOS X experience on here iMac will be usable or at least acceptible... She will also need to run Office v.X. At the moment she is still running 9.2.

Please share your thoughts on this with me...

Hi.

I imagine that Jaguar will run on the 266MHz iMac HOWEVER, I doubt it
will run fast at all. Probably be almost unusable.
time for an upgrade perhaps?

regards

Balderdash.

Several users have been running OS X 10.1 on their 266 MHz iMac, abeit a little sluggish. 10.2 is supposed to have a large speed boost.

You may say Balderdash but have you ever tried running it, efficiently,
on such an iMac.
Also, the speed improvements with Jaguar will not be as evident on an iMac 266 because it's video card is not supported by Jaguar for the off-loading
of 2D/3D graphic manipulations onto the card. This is where the large speed bump comes into play.

I ran OS X on a 333 MHz iMac with the same amount of RAM and it was perfectly usable. With Jaguar on a slower computer, the speed boost from 10.1 should be comparable to the above mentioned computer running 10.1.

I run 10.1 on my 333mhz iMac with 160MB of ram. It's fine for what I do. I rarely ever use the computer. I just download stuff with it, and the only way I get on it is through Timbuktu, since the monitor went out.

I hope that 10.2 will make it a bit faster. :)

I have 2 machines that run just fine as the minimum supported machine. It might be advised to get even more RAM and a new HD though. OS X beats on these systems hard, and improving them is crucial to keeping the experience reasonable.

As long as you're not gaming, these systems are fine. iPhoto is a bit jumpy. iTunes skips while AOL dials up. These things are acceptable.

I am running the latest version of OSX on my 266 powerbook wallstreet without a problem. I have 512 meg of RAM. I actually think it runs faster in X than in 9. I intend to upgrade to jaguar. I can only capture digital video in 9 though. It captures in OSX but to slow.

calliex

Back