Jaguar & OS 9 network connection failing

suzerain

Owner, Mac Game Database
Hi there.

OK, so I occasionally have to go over to my girlfriend's house and directly hook up to her G4 using an ethernet crossover cable to get files, because we do work together sometimes and she is on a modem.

Before I upgraded to Jaguar, it worked fine...just give both machines dummy TCP/IP settings, and connect to my laptop from her desktop (which runs OS 9).

Now that I have 10.2, I get an error message every time: "The connection was unexpectedly closed". I get it going both ways: connecting to her machine from mine, and vice versa.

WTF's going on here? Anyone have any insight into what's changed in 10.2 that's screwed up what ought to be a simple network connection?

(BTW, this also happend with a friend's laptop, running OS 9, so it's not isolated to me and my GF's situation. He had to boot my Titanium into OS 9 to transfer files to me. Back when I was using 10.1, networking with OS 9 was not a problem. Also, my HW is fine...my laptop happily networks with my desktops at home.)

New drivers needed for X.2. I had to change my ADSL modem drivers. Maybe problem comes from there. Hope this helps ! Change her drivers, change yours.

Originally posted by toast
New drivers needed for X.2. I had to change my ADSL modem drivers. Maybe problem comes from there. Hope this helps ! Change her drivers, change yours.

Drivers for what? both of these machines have the latest patches installed and so forth, as did my friend's laptop.

Je crois que quelque chose a été perdu dans la traduction; il n y a pas un modem ici. L'attache est directe entre les deux ordinateurs.

Anyone else got a clue as to what might be hosing a direct ethernet crossover connection between the two machines?

This was obviously introduced with 10.2.

Back