[Jaguar] Performance gain? How big?

Zaphod_B

Just me :)
A question for the Jaguar BETA testers in this forum:

What will my performance gain be? Approximately, in percentages? 10%? 50%? Make me happy :)

I currently run OS X 10.1.5, on a G4 700 MHz LCD iMac, and it runs ok. Not too fast, but ok. When I have a lot of apps open it will slow down severely and sometimes it takes 10 seconds just to open a Finder window... not so nice.

BTW: I don't do video-editing or photoshop. I just browse, read email, use MSN/ICQ and sometimes OfficeX. Just a regular home user.

Anyone? I don't want to start a full discussion here on Jaguar, there are enough other topics about it. But just a speed comparison between 10.1.5 and 10.2 (10.5??) would be nice!

When I have a lot of apps open it will slow down severely and sometimes it takes 10 seconds just to open a Finder window... not so nice.

You could probably do for some more memory. What do you have now, 256MB? I've found that atleast 512MB runs OS X fairly smooth. I also have 1MB of L3 cache so that can make a big difference as well.

As for your performance gains, it's hard to say. Since the slowdowns you are experiencing is likely due to not enough memory, you probably can still expect the slowdowns to happen in Jaguar when you have a lot of apps open.

You will find that Jaguar boots 30-40% faster than 10.1. The GUI also is a lot snappier and the visual enhancements are very nice.

I got to play with the 10.2 6C48 this weekend, released in May I think. It still has a long ways to go but there have been atleast two releases since then so the build I got to use was slightly older.

I think Jaguar will be a pleasent surprise for everyone when it's released. You can count on an overall more responsive system. You'll get back that feeling you missed when first giving up OS 9 for X if that makes any sense.

I have 384 MB of RAM which should be enough for just some mailreading, browsing and IM'ing? Shouldn't it?

I'm thinking about replacing the added 128 MB (which I happened to have lying around) with a 512 MB module though. Makes 750 :)

Back