Jaguar release day...

Guess when will be Jaguar finally released?

• July 4 (or any day in July)

• August 1 (..to 9)

• August 10 (..to 19)

• August 20 (..to 31)

• September 1 (..to 9)

• September 10 (..to 19)

• September 20 (..to 30)

• October 1 (..to 9)

• October 10 (..to 19)

• Major bug found in FreeBSD 4.4... OS X 10.2 is delaying...

Results are only viewable after voting.

ddma

The Most Stupid Member
Let's guess when will be Jaguar finally released?

(just make a stoopid poll before I goto bed... now 5:26 AM, g'nite guys)

Dear MacUsers,

10.2 will probably be released at the NY Macworld Expo, which is usually the end of September.

Does anyone know if 10.2 will be a web download or a CD upgrade? Looking from the screenshots and apps added, I guess it will be a CD upgrade.

:mad:

Steve *clearly* said 'late summer'. This can be translated directly into 'end of September'. No questions. And MWNY is in July. Also, this will clearly be a full upgrade.

Defiitely in September. Why you ask? Well, remember last year when everyone expected 10.1 to be released at MWNY because SJ said it would be available in the "summer"? Well, when did 10.1 ship? In September with about 2 weeks left in the summer season. I would expect late summer to translate to "the last possible day on the calendar that can be called summer", or even the unofficial "indian summer".

After playing with Jaguar over the weekend, I wouldn't be surprised to see it a little earlier, but I'm too much of a pessimist to expect Apple to release anything early these days.

Isn't one of the reasons why Jaguar is not being released earlier because of the MPEG issues with Quicktime 6? If that was cleared up wouldn't Jaguar show its face earlier?

Apparently RealNetworks bowed down to the almighty MPEG-LA recently. They pushed a minor codec update to RealOne that now supports MPEG-4 playback. That or the issues are starting to resolve themselves. That or Real just made a deal saying 'Hey, we only want to do playback, and since our users and ourselves won't get hit by anything but the decoder fee, why don't we pay that and you let us ship the codec?'

Either way, the fact that my friend has had MPEG-4 support for the past 3 days legally is rather amusing. (And I don't condone going after a QT6 DP, since it isn't right, and Apple disabled MPEG-4 encoding anyways... So you still have the issue of trying to find MPEG-4 content)

I think it would be in Apple's best interest to release right before the college back to school because some publicity when kids are buying new computers would be really great. I think realistically it has a lot to do with MPEG-4. I was surprised that they seem to be putting a lot of emphasis on MPEG-4 in this release even though they aren't even sure they will have it worked out by the time they want to release it.

Apple should be able to pull a Real and release MPEG-4 playback now, and wait for MPEG-4 encoding when issues are resolved. Afterall, they did it with MPEG-1 support before.

Still, MPEG-4 is the standard Apple wants and needs right now for QT. Relying on Sorenson as the only decent low-bandwidth codec maker is not a good idea. Plus with MPEG-4 trailers, Linux guys can get some good out of it.

Back