Jaguar supersized with curly fries and a coke

scott

softer than ever!
First of all, an apology if this is already being discussed elsewhere.

I couldn't help but notice the availability of Jaguar in a "Family Pack"

So is Apple:

a) Just trying to cash in on all the honest people out there;

b) Just trying to make a little cash of some extra media for people like me who have lost HUNDREDS of 9.x disks;

or

c) Begining a move to full serialization and registration of OS X, much like somebody else we know.

?

probably closest to A or B, I don't think they would do something malicious, and you put A) kind of harshly. more like they are giving moral people who have little money a way out of there guilty conscienceness.

On a somewhat related note I have been a little reluctant to install a fresh 10.2 on a seperate drive partition - do I have to register it all over again to run?

You're right, now that I read it, I hereby officially proclaim a) as:

a) Giving people who have the ability and want to pay for what they use a way to pay for multiple copies of the most important piece of software on their mac without buying multiple, seaprate boxes.

Whew. That's better.

And if that comes across as sarcastic, it wasn't meant to be.

I believe Apple knows it can never fully serialize it's OS for fear of jeopardizing an already relatively small user base.

There are very few products Apple has ever put out that I don't think are worth the money (maybe OS 8.5 and 10.1 Server - considering it had a short lifespan with little upgrade options to 10.2... but I digress)

If OS X was ever put on Intel, however, the story would be quite different.

I'm gonna shut up now.

Originally posted by karavite
On a somewhat related note I have been a little reluctant to install a fresh 10.2 on a seperate drive partition - do I have to register it all over again to run?

what do you mean? elaborate :)

and scott: much better :) now I vote for "A"

Apple will never serialize Mac OS for one simple reason. Apple makes the hardware, too. Somewhere along the line, if you really want to use Mac OS, you're going to have to buy an Apple computer. There's very little profit loss if even half of all Apple users upgraded from 8 to 9 to X without actually purchasing a copy of either. And as Mac OS gets more complex, feature rich, and resource-consuming, you'll need to buy a new Apple computer to run it comfortably. DAMN, Steve Jobs is a genious, the bastard.

Nosh

at the screen where you're asked for all that information you don't want to give anyone, just Apple-Q. It's there for those of us who reinstall like freaks all the time just to find things out. And for installing labs full of machines at colleges and whatnot.

Back