Jaguar Vs ATI

Sighter

Lord of Coffee
Hi All, this is my best one under Jaguar so far.
here's the stuff:

PowerMac G4 733 AGP "M7681"(Pre-QuickSilver)
1Gb Ram, 1 extra HD, 1 Extra Radeon PCI 32Mb.

He was running Mac OS X.1.5 and everything
waz perfect (usually I would've said not to do anything since it was working fine) But, he wanted to upgrade to Jaguar ABSOLUTLY and I agreed since its working so fine for me.

Updated to jaguar and then "Kernel" all I could do is shut down the computer. Took out the Video card, and Boum!, the Mac started, installed a SCSI card to test the PCI, no problem, tried the video card into my "Dual 867" worked just fine., Updated his system to 10.2.1, no difference.

Only Theory we have it that Quartz Extreme cannot activate correctly since there is 2 video cards with the same shipset. (Possible??)

Any of you have a Clue or a Direction I should take with this one?

-Sighter

Even if you have the smallest idea about it please let me know... The artist I am helping is in a huge production now..

-Sighter

What other video card do you have in the AGP slot? You say you have an extra PCI Radeon, but you don't say what the AGP card is.

So it's an AGP Radeon? I don't think a PCI Radeon would fit in an AGP slot.

If it's a PCI Radeon that's in the AGP slot(can that work?) then that's the reason that Quartz Extreem isn't enabled.

Read the original post, it is an extra card...
teh computer have 2 video card, identical one is PCI and the other is AGP.

I did read the post. You didn't say it was the same card. Different cards can use the same chipset.

sheesh

he has one agp radeon and one pci radeon

i have one idea

there is a free/shareware program on versiontracker that allows for quartz to be enabled for pci cards... i dont know what its called, but search for pci extreme

i dont know anything about the program so everything you do with it, is not my fault ;)

There is a bug in the ATI drivers that prevent the machine from starting up if you have more than 1GB of RAM. I realize you have 1GB (not more) but despite the fact that the bug is acknowledged as being >1GB, I have at least one machine that I deal with at work that will not boot with more than 640MB.

So, I would try pulling some RAM and seeing if that gets you up and running.

I've spoken to Apple about this (working for a major media company I get bigger ear to bend than most...) and they know about it, but have not fixed it yet.

I'm not sure that this is your problem, since I've usually seen it in conjunction with other PCI cards, particularly SDI video cards (ie: >1GB + PCI RADEON + other PCI card = unbootable mac) But when I hear PCI RADEON and kernel panic mentioned in the same breath, it makes me think pulling some RAM is worth a try.

-alex.

Back