Java 1.4 Sucks!

Veljo

Mac Enthusiast
I installed Java 1.4 a while back. I have a simple question. How can I revert back to Java 1.3???

Open the Terminal and paste this in;

cd /System/Library/Frameworks/JavaVM.framework/Versions
rm CurrentJDK
ln -s 1.3.1 CurrentJDK

Version 1.3.1 is still on your system.

After doing that you can check what version is being used by this;

ls -l /System/Library/Frameworks/JavaVM.framework/Versions/CurrentJDK

bobw,
Prior to posting this topic I did a search for this problem and found your post on the same topic. After typing in 'rm CurrentJDK' and 'ln -s 1.3.1 CurrentJDK' Terminal states that permission is denied. I am using my computer's only administrator account.

Enable root? I'm new at all this Terminal stuff. Speak as basic and as long as you can...sorry!

1. Open the NetInfo Manager application in the /Applications/Utilities folder.

2. Go to the Domain menu, then drag down to the Security submenu, and choose "Authenticate...". Put in an administrator login and password and press return or the "OK" button.

3. Go again to the Domain menu, again to the Security submenu, and then drag down to the "Enable Root User..." menu item.

4. You probably won't have put in a root user password yet. It will prompt you to provide a root user password and verify it. Do so.

5. Root user is now enabled. Now just logout from the Apple menu, and then at the login screen, use the login name "root" and provide the password you just set.

This will log you in as the root user. Note that you can do ANYTHING when logged in as root, including deleting essential files. Proceed with caution.

can't you / shouldn't you use "sudo" before these commands. There are very few times you actually need to be logged-in as root

OK, I logged in as Root and it worked fine. I also managed to calibrate my display so that every time I log in it doesn't have to change itself. I have one final question: now on my login screen there is a button 'Other...'. How do I remove this?

yes, WAW401, you should just be using sudo for this sort of thing. Although as for recalibrating the monitor, maybe you would have to do that as root...

Back