Java applets in OSX?

DrHogie

Registered
I'm currently running OSX 10.1.2, IE 5.1.3 on a 500MHz 256MB RAM iBook. I've been trying to get ANY Java applets to load and run -- and I have yet to get any to load successfully. I noticed under preferences that I do have java turned on, but in the 'Classpaths' area there are no class paths. Do I need to add something to this?

Also, I've tried other browsers (Omniweb 4.0.5 and the latest Moz build) and neither of them can run java applets. I did a search on these forums and read something about how the preview release (10.0.x) of IE didn't support Java applets -- did M$ fix this?

Thanks in advance,
DrH

OmniWeb can run at least one applet. I regularly run the speed test at www.dslreports.com, which uses a Java applet. Some of the OW Sneaky Peeks had basically no functioning Java support, but the most recent few, and the 4.1 b1 release, all can handle that test.
BTW, my cable modem connection usually tests at ~ 2000 kbps.
:D

It works for me. IE 5.1.3 is supposed to be very good with applets and in my experience, it is.

I'm not sure why you're having trouble.

This seems to be quite a general problem.

I had been happily developing applets in MacOS9 using BBEdit Lite, javac and Apple Applet Runner until I upgraded to OSX when everything fell apart!

To describe in detail one Applet (intended as an illustration to a very simple paper about the relation of Chaos to Electroencephalography) which simulates the action of a pen recorder, producing traces which scroll across the screen from right to left. It used to work with no trouble and I have even sent it to friends who assure me that it works perfectly on Windows and Linux machines.

Now :-
OmniWeb displays a very nice, but not very relevant, picture of a cup of coffee!
Netscape 6.2 says that it wants a plugin, but is a bit vague about what kind of plugin. Their support says :-
"We do not support plug-ins. These are
programs written by 3rd party vendors. If you need support with these products
then try contacting their technical support for plug-in related troubleshooting."
Not very helpful!
InternetExplorer 5.1 copes quite well! The title is lost, buttons are rendered differently, scrolling takes more than twice as long and there is a very irritating 'blinking' of the pens (but full marks for trying).
AppletLauncher shows nothing except two buttons, each in a frame of background colour, until the start button is pressed when the title and other items appear. Background is now painted in, but the font is wrong. Otherwise it runs OK and a bit faster.

Netscape Communicator 4.7 (running in Classic mode) chickens out by reporting "Class Homeostat not found" (It is in the same folder as the HTML file and it never had any difficulty before)
InternetExplorer 5 (running in Classic mode) is quite happy, renders everything perfectly and runs nearly twice as fast as it's MacOSX cousin.
Apple Applet Runner (running in Classic mode) also gets everything perfect and is even faster.

All this is, of course done locally.

Incidentally Metrowerks for JAVA does not (yet) support applets.

I don't know what is happening, but I wish it wasn't!

HRT

Back