Java Games

ApeintheShell

Registered
Although there are some java games out there that are clones of old classics I want to develop a new game.

Is java a good language, and if not what are some better one's?

java will be slow and its 3d graphics are very hard to work with but java - by definition - is highly portable, you could run it as an applet on a website, or if it a simple game port it to the new nokia phones!!

I am quite fond of Java ... it is neat, elegant and highly portable. Its also much easier to get started on, requiring less mucking around to get things done than many other languages. However, it is a little slow. For graphics intensive or highly responsive games, you'll want to use a compiled language such as one of the C variants.

Do i have to use the project builder to program in C?

I have a couple books on C, and some that tell about D, however, are there any worthwhile c tutorials out there?

Do any of these languages accept flash or shockwave files?

hey the problem is Java3D is not ported to osx?!? i'm not sure.

OpenGL will be ur best choice, for now.

But i've seen some pretty cool Java Games. o yeah! on my pc though.

Java is platform independent and all of its APIs, including Java3D, will run on the Mac (as far as I know). Any Java games you've played on your PC will run exactly the same on the Mac.

For 3D programming you will have to resort to a low-level compiled language such as one of the C variants. OpenGL requires C programming to access the API. But OpenGL is not a language in itself.

Since ApeInTheShell asked about "old classics" I'd assume we won't be delving into 3D programming much, so Java would be quite well suited.

yea i know openGL is not a language, but a api.

btw i think Java 3D is just an interface to underllying opengl or directx libraries. :/

Java is platform independant, but some of the libraries access native code via the JNI interface. I'm not 100% sure, but I think Java3D falls into the latter category. If this is the case, then it won't run on OS X until the relevant native libs have been made.

Back