Java/MRJ on IE5 - help needed

Zeal

Registered
I'm trying to log-on to my online banking account with IE 5.1.4 using OS X 10.1.4. Everytime I do this I get a blank browser screen and a message on the bottom of the browser window that reads "Start: applet not initiated". I tried the same with Netscape 6.2.3 and the same occurred.

I've just downloaded and installed the "Netscape MRJ Plug-In X 1.0" update (posted on www.macupdate.com and www.versiontracker.com) and now I have no problems logging into my online banking account with Netscape.

Does anyone know why I can't do the same with IE 5.1? Do I need to install a MRJ plug-in to make it work like Netscape? Is there a MRJ plug-in available for IE 5.1? Is MRJ already built-in and do I just have to play with the Java Preferences (?? I don't know what half the settings do anyway ??)?

If I can only solve this with your help we have a chance of getting man on the moon one day... whadd'ya mean, we've already done that? Duh! Zeal :confused:

------------------------
Powerbook G3 400mHz Pismo - 384 MB ram - 30GB HDD - 21" monitor - and some other stuff

Internet Explorer for Mac OSX has some problems with some Java applets, due to some bugs in the standard version of Java under OSX (Not Java 2, but the version commonly in use). This is also the reason Yahoo chat cannot work under OSX in IE or Omniweb.

I would try omniweb (since it is a better browser over IE any day of the week), or use Netscape/ mozilla instead.

Thanks JeffCGD :) I've never used Omniweb and am a bit of a loungechair user - I don't like moving to alternative software packages. I see that Omniweb comes with a $30 shareware pricetag attached - OUCH - that's NZ$75 over here! There's no way I would pay for a browser if that's what they're charging.

Anyone else have some advice on how I can sort my problem out using IE 5.1? Zeal - still :confused:

I am also from New Zealand, and even though Omniweb is unlimited use shareware (ie: you may use it as long as you wish for free - it just pops up one of variety of very entertaining shareware reminders about once of twice a week), I am planning on buying a licience as soon as I arrange a credit card.
This browser is better, and more stable than any of the other internet browsers for Mac OSX overall, and it's still in "Beta", which is laughable, since it's so complete.
Microsoft, by comparrison, should hang it's collective head in shame.
Check it out at www.omnigroup.com

Back