Java problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

meanestindian

Registered
Am running 10.3.9

I seem to be having Java problems. And then when I try to check which Java version I am running in Terminal it doesn't give an answer (should tell which version running) When I try and launch an app it tells me I am not running the latest version of Java. When I try to download Java 1.4.2 manually it won't install as it says I already have this version.

Any ideas welcome

Me again. I tried another Terminal command and it seems that Java 1.4.2 is in action. BUT when I try and open Java 1.4.2 Plugin Settings it fails to open and I get the message "Can't launch Java application. Uncaught exception in main method. java.lang. No Class Def found. Error. apple/laf/AquaLookandFeel" Any fixes for this? Could this be why Limewire if refusing to launch?

There have been two updates to Java 1.4.2, the second is located here. Personally I have been using Java 2 SE Release 3 which contains Java 1.5.0_05. It does not replace Java 1.4.2 but can be used instead of Java 1.4.2. The installer places a J2SE 5.0 folder in /Applications/Utilities/Java and there is a Java Prefrerences app in that folder you can use to switch between Java 1.4.2 and J2SE 5.0. I run several Java applications such as NeoOffice/J, MoneyDance, and Thinkfree office and the J2SE 5.0 has been completely trouble free.

Another thing you can try to see if it helps is in that same /Applications/Utilities/Java folder you will find the Java Plugin Settings. Using that you can flush the Java cache which can sometimes clear up annoying Java problems.

Thanks Perfesser but the J2SE release is not of much help to me. As I mentioned I am working in OS 10.3.9 and this release is for 10.4 and later as I understand.

Has anyone else got any ideas of how I can sort out this Java conflict/problem? Please????

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back