Javascript Pull Down Menu Help

Natobasso

Tech-Bot 5000
Howdy!

I've been wrestling with this for months, off and on, and have managed to put it off, but the time has come for me to get my javascript menu added to the company site redesign I'm doing.

What I need is code that uses a jpg graphic as the top link, and the javascript menu can just be html background colors and text. I need rollover functionality along with that.

Any help appreciated that will enable me to get this done. Sites, info, your personal experience -- it's all good if it helps me take the leap from almost there to 'proficient'. :)

I have tried using Suckerfish, but it doesn't accomodate the use of images very well. I want to have an image be the anchor while the rest of the menu stays text...
OK, I haven't really dabbled in using images in menus. Have you seen this attempt to use images with Suckerfish menus?

Single image replacement rollover menus

(with a demo at: http://www.tyssendesign.com.au/examples/IR-navbar.html)

Yup, do also have a look at Stu Nicholls' work on www.cssplay.co.uk (the first couple of original links, essentially). He's done some quite amazing things with CSS. :)

I have tried using Suckerfish, but it doesn't accomodate the use of images very well. I want to have an image be the anchor while the rest of the menu stays text:

Most likely due to the Suckerfish dropdown menu being a standards-based design that follows accessibility & usability fundamentals (WCAG/WAI -- using images for links is a big no-no there.)

Why does the anchor link have to be an image though? From what I've seen of the page at the link you provided, there isn't anything special there requiring an image. Am I missing something?

Why does the anchor link have to be an image though? From what I've seen of the page at the link you provided, there isn't anything special there requiring an image. Am I missing something?

Well, when you present a design a certain way, the higher ups like the approved design to not be changed, javascript or css pulldown menu notwithstanding. :)

Guess I should have designed the menu with this in mind and will do so in the future.

A buddy of mine did the menus for www.geniusproducts.com. I'm having trouble recreating it, but I know it's possible to have images linked to javascript menus.

OK, I haven't really dabbled in using images in menus. Have you seen this attempt to use images with Suckerfish menus?

Single image replacement rollover menus

(with a demo at: http://www.tyssendesign.com.au/examples/IR-navbar.html)

Yup, do also have a look at Stu Nicholls' work on www.cssplay.co.uk (the first couple of original links, essentially). He's done some quite amazing things with CSS. :)

Love the Stu Nichols site, but same issue with images and his code is so dense it's tough to reverse engineer effectively. (I would still give him credit regardless.)

Back