JBuilder 5 and german keyboard layout

Dradts

Official Mac User
Hi! I'm using German OS X 10.1.1 and the JBuilder 5 demoversion. Unfortunately, I can't figure out how to type in the characters "{" and "}". Without these its kinda impossible to write a java app.
Hopefully somebody can help me!!!! :(

Well, if your german keyboard is anything like my swedish one (at least we have 'ä' and 'ö' in common), you should find them by typing Shift+Alt+8 and Shift+Alt+9. If not, you can always use that old time favourite; KeyCaps. That program is located in /Applications/Utilities/. It's great for finding out where all those little special characters have been hidden.

Good luck!

Hi! Thanx for ur response! Unfortunately, the characters listed in the keycaps application won't work in JBuilder :(
Keycaps says that { and } can be typed in by using alt+8 and alt+9. I've tried this in JBuilder, but it didn't work. When I switch to the US-keyboard layout, { and } is located on Ü and *. So I can use them. But I don't always want to switch Keyboard layouts just to type in 2 character... :(

I guess this has something to do with the java 2 implementation of os x. Maybe Ive got to set the internat keyboard layout of jbuilder to german or something... I just don't know how :(

I'm sorry my tips weren't any help. I wonder if this keyboard layout problem is only related to JBuilder5 or if it is a general Java problem on MacOS X. Have you tried any other Java apps on MacOS X? Did they work ok?
Interesting. I'll have to do some research myself. It's quite common in early versions of US software to forget about supporting other keyboard layouts.

Yeah, this JBuilder problem is kinda weird. When I click on "Search" to find words inside a sourcecode, I can type the brackets using the standard keys. They only won't work inside the sourcecode editor :( I'd rather have them not work inside the search dialoge then in the editor...but well. Hopefully Borland will bring out a patch for that problem. I haven't seend this behavior in any other Java apps, so I guess its a JBuilder related problem....
Thanx for ur response anyways. :) By the way, does ur swedish keyboard work with JBuilder 5?

Strange. You would think that all text components in the application would share the same keymap. JBuilder5 probably has a custom keymap for the editor and when they wrote it they forgot to support "foreign" keyboards. Ah, well. I guess all we can do is wait, wait, complain and wait. :)

I haven't tried JBuilder5 at home yet so I don't know if my keyboard will work. That annoying registration procedure got in my way of downloading it.

Try Projectbuilder. The editor isn't perfect yet (standard C-style comments over multiple lines) but it handles '{' and '}' and many other exciting characters. :) Plus, if you're writing Java apps for MacOS X exclusively you get your apps nicely packaged with PB. (No, I'm not employed by Apple :))

Back