Jobs attacking pc market...

Ugh, Bad read. Looks as if it was cobbled together, and very late, from every other item on Jobs to make the rounds lately.

A report in The San Francisco Chronicle looks at the alliance between Apple and HP, whereby HP will sell an own branded iPod, and suggests that having found great popularity with its market-leading iPod, Apple does not want to repeat the mistakes of the past.

The mistake being Jobs decision, on return to Apple in 1997, to stop the manufacture of Apple clones. According to the Chronicle, critics say that's one big reason Apple only has 2 per cent market share, according to IDC figures.

Well, not all critics. Some, perhaps rightly, think that decision is the only reason Apple is still in business right now.

IDC's Danielle Levitas said: "The deal also gives Apple instant access to foreign markets."

Yes, because Apple is completely ignorant of and absent from foreign markets.

IDC analyst Roger Kay, said: "Jobs has discovered that selling to Windows customers opens up a total available market two orders of magnitude larger than the Mac base. As the PC industry matures, content is rising in importance, and Steve got to Hollywood ahead of the pack. He can leverage both sides of his shop – video content and computers – in his battle for dominance with his main rivals."

This is a good (and correct, I believe) observation.

But GartnerG2 analyst Mike McGuire suggests that: "While Apple and Jobs have managed to stay ahead of the pack in bringing digital entertainment to the consumer through computer hardware, the two may be feeling some pressure as others catch up.

From Mike McGuire, GartnerG2's "analyst of the incredibly obvious."

"Time is the biggest enemy. The key is you can't wait, because you have momentum. If you can go and partner with somebody who will give you this massive potential distribution, you have to do it. I don't think the Apple-HP deal would have happened five, six or seven years ago."

Once again, thanks for an obvious slant on what Apple has (apparently) already realized. I don't see Apple having "waited" at all in their iPod strategy. I'm willing to bet the dealy for iTMS for Windows had more to do with the music industry folks than Apple. That application was ready to go months before it was released. Apple HAD to wait. That's my guess.

But IDC analyst Kay hints: "He might be surprised to find that Hollywood closes it ranks to rebels. By aspiring too high, too quickly, that could be his downfall. But that story's not told yet.''

Perhaps, but right now, Apple is driving highly profitable revenue ("Gee, you mean we can sell albums for $7 with almost ZERO costs?") to the music companies. In the end, money talks.

Back