Jobs: Minis for iPod owners

Randman

HA! HA! HA!
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/default.aspx?id=3900437

“I think that one of the biggest customers for the mini is going to be current owners buying a second iPod. They’re going to have both—when I go on a trip I take my whole library with my iPod and when I go to the gym I take the mini.” - Steve Jobs

I have to admit, I hadn't even considered a mini as I'm happy with my Gen 2 20 (though I still ache for the Gen 3 40, but I have to admit his logic is valid. I do use my iPod at the gym and a mini would be perfect as a second device. Maybe once the price drops.

Why on earth would anyone need two? The iPod is not a large device. I'm sure it wouldn't get in the way any more than a slightly smaller one. Unless they cut prices drastically, I see G4 Cube all over again. Boo. :(

phatcactus said:
Why on earth would anyone need two? The iPod is not a large device. I'm sure it wouldn't get in the way any more than a slightly smaller one. Unless they cut prices drastically, I see G4 Cube all over again. Boo. :(

Agreed. If the minis were to cost 100-150$ less, then maybe, in a moment of lapsed judgement, I might consider buying a one to go with my regular iPod. But even then I'd never be able to actually justify that purchase. Boo too.

I've got a 2nd gen 20 G as well and I love it. :D

But I might consider selling it .. and getting the small one (I want to see them alive first..) .. and just rotate my music (over 20 G) and still keep it partially as a backup device/portable hd too. ;)

Gia, considering your penchant for small gadgeteria, I think you'd love a mini. I checked both models out today at the expo, and after playing with the mini the regular iPod just seems, well... big. And the iPod seemed just right when I've played with them before.

The guy giving the presentation on the minis today said we should get 5, one in each color, so we can choose the one that matches what we're wearing. My thoughts: Yeah, right, spend $1250 to match colors with the same 4 GB of music. Bull superjuice.

Do they have a colour matched dock? How about headphones? Wouldn't it be great if they had Nokia-style changable facias? I may consider upgrading my first generation 5 gig iPod for one.

Randman said:
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/default.aspx?id=3900437

“I think that one of the biggest customers for the mini is going to be current owners buying a second iPod. They’re going to have both—when I go on a trip I take my whole library with my iPod and when I go to the gym I take the mini.” - Steve Jobs

I have to admit, I hadn't even considered a mini as I'm happy with my Gen 2 20 (though I still ache for the Gen 3 40, but I have to admit his logic is valid. I do use my iPod at the gym and a mini would be perfect as a second device. Maybe once the price drops.
his logic works for me!!!
:D

I doubt there will be a huge market for current iPod owners to buy a new mini. The mini is not that much smaller than the 3g ipod, and the cost is too high.

I see it going to folks that don't have a giant music collection, and are out door's active. Like joggers, bikers, climbers... It would be great for me on the motorcycle, but I'll stick with the normal model since it holds more and barely costs more.

Great idea. Flawed.

I do, however, think they will eventually do away with the bigger iPod and only sell mini's with bigger drives. Once the price comes down on components, anyway.

But when the price drops down? I have a 20gb Gen 2 and it is considerably bigger than the Gen 3. And even as small as it is, a smaller one would be great for the gym.

phatcactus said:

HUSH! Whats wrong with G4 Cube's!?? :mad: ::ha:: Personally i think these will be all the more appealing to women, colour and size being the major reasons. You have to remember, we as members of this forum, are generally tech savy, and yet alot of potential customers aren't. There's a lot of people who buy 'cool things', often not really knowing what they are buying... I do think those kinda people will be taken in by the mini, whereas those in 'know', will probably save a further $50 or more for an iPod.

Hmm... There's some logic... I already see myself keeping my 2nd gen 10G iPod at home for the stereo and taking a few playlists with me when I leave the house - with a silver iPod mini... :) :) :)

NeYo: Glad to see you fighting the Cube cause :)

I'll probably wait for them to be discontinued, then buy one off eBay in a few years when they're finally selling for the price they're worth. Just like how I got my Cube :D

Seriously, I have to admit, the mini has grown on me over the past week. I think it's small enough to have the edge on the iPod just for it's size. April is a long way off though, and I've got the cash and need for one now. Seeing if I can wait is the big test :)

bookem said:
NeYo: Glad to see you fighting the Cube cause :)

I'll probably wait for them to be discontinued, then buy one off eBay in a few years when they're finally selling for the price they're worth. Just like how I got my Cube :D

Seriously, I have to admit, the mini has grown on me over the past week. I think it's small enough to have the edge on the iPod just for it's size. April is a long way off though, and I've got the cash and need for one now. Seeing if I can wait is the big test :)

HAHA! You too man! :D

They NEED to lower the prioce. The whole idea of the iPod mini was to eat another 30% of the market, the ones who bought $200 flash-players. They are now eating themselves, and as said before, the Cube is a good way to compare.
The Cube was not powerful enough for the pros and too expensive for the hobbyists.
It ended up in receptions where people could look at it.
iPod mini isn't big enough for the HD-player market, and is too expensive for the flash-player market.
It'll end up as a memorable player, but won't have high sales.

Again, with a price like that, Jobs will be going after the 30% he already has, not the 60% he really wants.

I think the original iPod is eventually going to go the way of the Cube (sure, you may love it, Neyo, but it did get discontinued), and the mini becoming the actual iPod. Compared to the mini, the iPod is bloated and complicated. Sure, it's got a higher capacity, but if Apple stuffed several gigabytes of storage into the minis, they would have an extremely hot ticket to taking over the music player market for good.

I have owned 4 iPods, (the 15 gig I bought for my girlfriend), and I have ordered the iPod mini. I run 10 miles a day, and I run with my 40 gig iPod in my hand. Now I can use the armband and be much more comfortable while running. If it wasn't for that, I don't see why I would have bought it. I really would have preferred the price to be $199 though. If it was $199 every college student looking for an mp3 player in the US would be buying it.

Back