Jobs, Sculley go head-to-head Tuesday (Think Secret)

dricci

Registered
From ThinkSecret

June 1, 2002 - A former and present Apple CEO will vie for supreme media attention this coming Tuesday as John Sculley and Steve Jobs will both grab high-tech headlines.

In the case of Sculley, Think Secret has learned he will make a "major announcement" of a new company and product. While we usually try to bring you the details first, we have been asked not to divulge them, as doing so would put our source in jeopardy. Suffice to say, once we were told of Sculley's announcement, we agreed that it was a significant development.

Apple will also use Tuesday to announce news of its own. Details of just what will be announced are sketchy, and at this point Think Secret doesn't feel confident enough to report the few details we have. From what we are being told, it doesn't appear to be an "earth-shattering" development. We'll keep you informed of new information.

An interesting point leading up to Tuesday: Apple media relations has been lining up interviews for Jobs and only a few days ago found out it would be competing with the Sculley announcement. Knowing Apple and how they often fly by the seats of their pants, some people we talked to say they wouldn't be surprised if Apple changed their minds at this late hour and moved the announcement to Monday or Wednesday. As one source put it, "as much as Jobs loathes Sculley, don't put it past him to move the announcement just to get top billing."

Time to start speculation!

iPod 2? iPad? iWalk? iHateSculley?

I'm clueless!

Jobs doesn't drink carbonated drinks. Thought with the release of the Carbon platform it really sounds silly. :D

I can't wait for Tuesday! It's probably going to be something un-important to me though, like a new iBook or display. If it's an iPod2 then that means they'll lower the original iPod's price (finally!) and I'll be able to get one! ROFL!

Maybe it's green tea! :) Would go with his "zen-ness".

A new iApp would be cool, but I am thinking an iPod update.

What, iPod update? What for. A media event for a small update? No-ey. Even if it had two FireWire ports or an AirPort card included, this would not make a media event.

New iMacs. Or new PowerMacs. They said no new CPUs till summer, and we all meant they meant nothing 'til MWNY, whereas they will say 'Alle lines refreshed before MWNY'.

I'd say: PowerMacs first. Let them have the hardware advantages the XServe delivered. Plus, of course, 1.2 or 1.4 GHz G4 7470 processors.

That for a media event. I just hope it's no digital camera. Because everyone's got one who wants one.

I just had an idea.. Apple has really been talking about FireWire a lot recently.. Maybe they'll be releasing FireWire 2 (the "b" one)?

Just a guess, but they do let the official standard group use the logos now, and the homepage for the group has a link to the "b" standard info saying "It's here"

I hope its some kind of digital media recorder device we can plug into our satellites or digital cable systems and record media then send it to our macs, with some kind of iApp, like iRecord. I imagine it would have like a 100 gig hard drive with room for more, Airport card and ethernet connection, and be moderately sized. I imagine they would charge around 499$ too.

Originally posted by theCaptain
I hope its some kind of digital media recorder device we can plug into our satellites or digital cable systems and record media then send it to our macs, with some kind of iApp, like iRecord. I imagine it would have like a 100 gig hard drive with room for more, Airport card and ethernet connection, and be moderately sized. I imagine they would charge around 499$ too.

Yes that or maybe an Apple Digital camera..... or new iApp like iMusic were you can take clips of diferent instruments and sounds to make your own music. :)

Isn't Apple suppose to release the RAID component of the Xserve around now? Maybe that's the news...

Originally posted by fryke
I just hope it's no digital camera. Because everyone's got one who wants one.

What? Are you kidding? I would LOVE it if they released a 4 megapixel digital camera with 5 GB HDD and Firewire connectivity (there's a rumor thread around here somewhere about it). Apple would definitely be getting more of my money! :D

Back