Journaling??

Meltdowns6

Registered
Hi,

Is it me or has apple changed something in Tiger?
I used to be able to switch-off journalling of the boot partition in diskutility.
Now in Tiger i can't do it anymore. The option is greyed out for the boot partition only. Onyx doesn't work in tiger yet as does Cocktail so that's not an option yet.
This drives me nuts because sometimes my cpu is maxing out due to an active process called "update" which hugs my cpu for 85% for hours on end.
I believe "update" is journaling related.
Anyone know a solution?

um. that shouldn't happen. try fixing permissions, and re-install. then one-by-one reinstall whatever background apps/menu items/docklings you run and see what is causing it. I don't beleive that journalling is going to cause your issue. i have it turned on on my G4 (see below) and it is fine.

Journalling should DEFINITELY be extremely low-usage, and there's no seperate process for it. Instead, as mentioned, the processes mentioned are probably spotlight-related.

Note that spotlight updates occur with when moving around data in a way that affects any spotlight-aware program. Copying files is obvious, but moving a large number of messages from one folder to another in mail kicks off a spotlight update that can be pretty CPU-intensive and last for a while, even on a dual-G5.

It sounds to me as if the user wanted to preemptively deactivate journaling, not like it's in Tiger that this update process thing is happening specifically... Either way: Journaling should have _no_ such effect, so I'd leave it on, anyway. Better for the harddrive. Or rather: Your data.

Yes, journalling, even on my Pismo 500 is not a big enough hit to disrupt much of anything. 'update' is related to spotlight, and the first couple of days you have the system under Tiger it eats up CPU like mad. Myself and others have brought this up in previous threads.

Thanks all for the replies.

Makes sense that spotlight is responsible. I used to disable sherlock in Os9 for exactly the same reason (indexing)
I hope this goes away quickly or can be disabled (like Sherlock) in a future update because i have to use my laptop in realtime.
I'm a pro musician who uses it to generate guitar sound on stage live.
With Tiger this will be totally impossible as it stands now.
Fortunately i have a backup system with 10.3.8 which i now use.
Let's hope this won't be a standard returning "feature" in Tiger because i and many others will be in Panther like forever.

Krevinek
Could you post a link to one of those threads?

Ps
With certain audio apps disabling journaling does make quite a difference.
Is anyone able to disable it on the boot partition in Tiger like you could in Jaguar and Panther with diskutility?

If you don't let it index, then you will always see the performance drain, and things will quite honestly never be good for you in Tiger. My suggestion? Let the indexing run overnight so it can finish. Tiger uses incremental indexing rather than scheduled full indexing that OS 9 uses, but the first 'increment' is your whole hard drive (and your others if you have more). Once this initial indexing is finished, you will see the drain disappear. The problem is that killing the process does not work as the OS will spawn a new one.

The feature will probably improve in the future, but I doubt that Apple will allow users to kill the indexing (as then Spotlight is no longer useful as a feature). With journalling, Apple seems to have made it something that just is there now. Just out of curiosity, which apps does journalling really make a difference on, and what sort of machine are you running?

Meltdowns6 said:
Thanks all for the replies.

Makes sense that spotlight is responsible. I used to disable sherlock in Os9 for exactly the same reason (indexing)
I hope this goes away quickly or can be disabled (like Sherlock) in a future update because i have to use my laptop in realtime.
I'm a pro musician who uses it to generate guitar sound on stage live.
With Tiger this will be totally impossible as it stands now.

It can be disabled quite easily. Go to System Preferences > Spotlight > Privacy, and designate folders or disks that you don't want to get indexed.
:D

Ahh... just for the record, Sherlock was/is just an application, it does not create an index of the disk content!

Let your Mac run the night over, and it should be done - unless you have 500+Gb of data...

You're gonna be happy it's indexed, though. When it's done, try open Address Book, select a person/company and choose 'Spotligt <item>' from the 'gear' menu... :)

marook said:
Ahh... just for the record, Sherlock was/is just an application, it does not create an index of the disk content!

Yes it did, before it was turned into a content delivery system (think MacOS 8.5 through 9.2). The only problem was that it was setup to index the drive on command or at midnight. Seeing as most people didn't let their machines run that long, most people didn't even know the 'feature' existed. My machine would index for 5+ hours every day (PowerMac 8600, 20GB total space), so it wasn't a very good idea at the time.

Although on another note, nice to hear about the privacy feature. That will probably save quite a few guys from their SO's. *j/k*

Disabling journaling is not suggested in 10.4.
What kind of hardware do you have where you run 10.4?

Back