Jpeg Questions

simplegray

Registered
2 questions.

1) When I click on a Jpeg it opens in Preview. However, if I edit that jpeg in Photoshop and SAVE (not even save as...) whenever i click on that jpeg, it opens now in Photoshop. Just that one. So basically, if a JPEG is ever edited in Photoshop it always now Defaults to that.... how can i make that so that NEVER happens.

2) when i'm looking at several pics in preview...why can i no longer drag and drop like i could in panther?

I'm running 10.4.4

thanks.

the file association is part of file handling in Mac OS X. it's to do with the creator of that file, in this case, at first, nothing, so preview, and then photoshop, so photoshop is now associated with it as the creator.

you could try, which i think will work, ctrl-clicking on a photoshop jpeg, and then Get Info...

in this box, find Open With, and change it to Preview, and then select Change All, this should change it to how you want it.

2:

i can drag and drop quite happily on to preview in 10.4.4, and it brings up 1 preview window with the sidebar filled with the rest of my selection. try creating a new user in accounts, and logging into that new user. find some pictures and drag and drop them into preview, just to see if it works, and whether or not your desktop is corrupted in any way...

Lt Major Burns said:
2:

i can drag and drop quite happily on to preview in 10.4.4, and it brings up 1 preview window with the sidebar filled with the rest of my selection. try creating a new user in accounts, and logging into that new user. find some pictures and drag and drop them into preview, just to see if it works, and whether or not your desktop is corrupted in any way...

I think he might mean drag FROM preview TO the desktop, not the other way around.

I've noticed that you can't do this in Tiger too and it's very irritating. I can't seem to find a way to fix it.

When you save a JPG in Photoshop, it's filetype is changed to "Photoshop JPEG". The way around this is to use the "Save for Web" option (Apple+Option+Shift+S) when saving JPEGs. Then they open in Preview by default.

ra3ndy said:
When you save a JPG in Photoshop, it's filetype is changed to "Photoshop JPEG". The way around this is to use the "Save for Web" option (Apple+Option+Shift+S) when saving JPEGs. Then they open in Preview by default.

That's not the case for me. Photoshop is still the creator and a double click will open it in Photoshop. The Save For Web ensures it's saved without the resource fork data.

Huh. It works that way on my Macs... I suppose then you have to go with Lt Major Burns's suggestion above... change the "open with" preference for your jpeg files...

Sorry for the bum advice.

ra3ndy said:
Huh. It works that way on my Macs... I suppose then you have to go with Lt Major Burns's suggestion above... change the "open with" preference for your jpeg files...

Sorry for the bum advice.
The problem with this method is that he has to do it each time he creates a new JPG file in PS. Unfortunately, it seems like the only way to go. It would be nice if this preference were kept by the OS, rather than letting the file creator tell the OS that a file belongs to it. A new setting would be nice that allows apps to claim a file is theirs, or allows the user to override this and always have certain files of a specific type open with the app of their choice.

You could setup an automator action, or possibly better yet a folder action, that would do it for you automatically.

Folder Action sounds like a good idea.

I would personally do it totally differently (just my 2 cents): using Quicksilver (which any Mac user should have installed), locate the jpg-file you want to open, press Tab, choose "Open With", press Tab, then select "Preview" as the app with which you want to open it.

(This will of course work with any file, not just jpg, and not only the Preview app.)

Hope this helps...

patrice
http://www.patriceschneider.com/apple-osx/blog/

ecirtap said:
using Quicksilver (which any Mac user should have installed)
Not too sure I would say that...especially with the problems QS has been causing for some users. About a week or two ago someone I know had a major issue with QS locking up his machine randomly for a few seconds at a time. The net and their own forums are full of similar problems.

Back