JPG Corruption

shooted

Registered
Hi, I'm freaking out as we speak.

Recently my external hard drive has gone off the wall. I took it into the Apple store. The problem is for some reason the hard drive will not mount. I open it up in Disk Utility and it can't verify or repair the disk. However my macbook and the mac at the store could see it connected to the computer through firewire on the System Profile.

I can't afford bringing it to a professional data recovery service, so I used the program Disk Rescue II. After scanning the external hard drive I managed to see my files.

I have movies and photos on there. I can always get the movies from my dvds or re-download them, but I have no other backup of my photos.

I managed to copy the photos onto my hard drive - but when I try to open them with Preview or Photoshop or any other viewer I get an error stating:

"Couldn't open file. It may be corrupt or a file format Preview/Photoshop/etc doesn't recognize."

Help, is there a free program out there that I am not aware of ?!?!? I just want to get my photos back, I don't care for the movies, I just need my photos.

Can you view the photos direct from the ext drive? I'm just asking this because the corruption could have happened during the copy process and the original files may still be unaffected .... what did the Apple Store guys say the problem was with the drive ... when your macbook was finally able to see the drive, could you actually open up the drive in Finder and test whether or not you had any problems accessing any of the files on it?

You may need to take it back and get them to transfer the photos for you ...

I can't afford bringing it to a professional data recovery service, so I used the program Disk Rescue II. After scanning the external hard drive I managed to see my files.

You usually need professional data recovery in the case of physical damage to your disk. This does not sound anything like that. In the worst case, files can probably be recovered using Disk Warrior.

Which file system did you use to format your drive?

Can you view the photos direct from the ext drive? I'm just asking this because the corruption could have happened during the copy process and the original files may still be unaffected .... what did the Apple Store guys say the problem was with the drive ... when your macbook was finally able to see the drive, could you actually open up the drive in Finder and test whether or not you had any problems accessing any of the files on it?

You may need to take it back and get them to transfer the photos for you ...

I can't see anything on the external drive.

The guy at the Apple Store didn't tell me anything other then go see a professional Data Recovery Service... It wasn't very helpful.

You usually need professional data recovery in the case of physical damage to your disk. This does not sound anything like that. In the worst case, files can probably be recovered using Disk Warrior.

Which file system did you use to format your drive?

I believe the format was a Mac OS Extended format.... I'm not sure.

Back