Junk Mail stopped working AGAIN!

infinityBBC

Registered
well, it's happened again. all of a sudden, with no warning, the Junk Mail feature stopped working. it is just not recognizing anything! the last time this happened, i searched the forum, found a couple messages saying to:
1. disable the Junk Mail filtering
2. quit Mail
3. delete the appropriate Junk Mail folders in the Mail Pref's
4. restart, or simply return to Mail
it worked last time... this time it's not, and i'm going absolutely NUTS!
i also ran Norton, which found some "major" B-Tree catelog problems. regardless, nothing seems to work. if anyone out there knows what's up with this i would greatly appreciate your help! thanks!

First, I advise to stop using Norton.
Second, Boot from the OS CD, go to the installer menu and run Disk Utility. If you need a third party utility, get Disk Warrior or Drive 10.

Did you try deleting the com.mail.plist in home>Library>Preferences.
Did you run disk utility to verify and repair permissions.

thanks for the suggestions, but it still doesn't work. there is no "com.mail.plist" anywhere on the computer - perhaps 10.3.2 doesn't use this file? is there another similar such preference file to delete? i have repaired permissions.

i'm really hoping to figure this out, because it's driving me nuts for Junk Mail not to work. any other ideas are appreciated. it's apparent to me that this is a bug, since others have also had the same problem.

help!

Giaguara said:
the file you are looking for is com.apple.mail.plist

yes, that is the correct title, thanks. i wound up not trashing it, however. i didn't feel like redoing all of my isp data last night.

however, i did a "Reset" (in the Junk Mail pref's options) and that seemed to actually work!!! my Junk Mail feature seems to be working again!

thanks for all the help!

By trashing the com.apple.mail.plist file you will not lose any of your isp data. that is saved in a different location. So by all means... trash it:D

tk4two1 said:
By trashing the com.apple.mail.plist file you will not lose any of your isp data. that is saved in a different location. So by all means... trash it:D

you sure about that? because i removed it from the folder and when i launched Mail, it prompted me with re-entering my account data. i quit Mail, put the file back, relaunched Mail and all was normal. let me know what you think regarding this... i'm curious.

it seemed to me that what actually finally solved the Junk Mail problems was "resetting" the Junk Mail, as found in the Junk Mail tab. perhaps this might help others that wind up at their wit's end after trying everything else.

thanks again for your help!

Gambuchi said:
The file you should be looking for is "com.apple.mail.plist"

yes, that's it: "com.apple.mail.plist"

i found it, removed it, ran Mail and i was immediately prompted with a window to input all of my ISP data. this file apparently keeps all of the ISP data, along with the preferences.

i suppose, i will have to take the time to re-enter it all, as my Junk Mail stopped working properly again today... UGH! this is SO annoying. this is obviously a bug since others have had the problem. i HOPE Apple is paying attention!

bobw said:
It's times like this I'm glad I don't use Mail :)

i never did post the end of it all. after messing with it a bit, the junk mail feature began working again and has continued to work. i don't believe there is ANY software manufacturer that releases applications perfectly - without bugs. even though Mail has had this problem since Panther came out, it is not entirely outrageous. Mail is a good email app regardless, and as you are glad you don't use it... i'm very happy to be using it, despite this minor problem. happy computing! :cool:

I trashed mine (for other Mail.app issues) and it definitely lost track of my list of accounts (somehow remembering one I had deleted ages ago). While deleting prefs can fix many issues, it's not without a reconfiguration price.

tk4two1 said:

Back