Just bought a mac and....

Joshier

Registered
It's been giving me trouble, i bought it on ebay and i got a new osx with it. i think it's 10.4

anyway..I start to setup my osx and get it working on the internet and BAM! problem, i go into the control panel (well, you know what i mean) and i enter the internet connection section. I am greeted with all fields/buttons greyed out with a padlock on the bottom left. it tells me to click the padlock to change settings, so i do so and i get comfronted with the username/password. I enter my username and pass and it tells me that i need to 'enter an administrator username and password'.

I then go into accounts, and check my account, again - all fields/buttons greyed out and i have the padlock bottom left. i look at my account and it says "standard" below it.

I go into netinfo and try to enable root user, no luck (need to be an administrator for that!) i click authenticate and i look around in netinfo for anything useful, i see the root user with the password as root. i then look at my own account and try to change the password, i then click the padlock again and it tells me i do not have access.

Then finally i try going into terminal and typing sudo su
It tells me and i quote

"Last login: Wed Oct 12 18:01:19 on console
Welcome to Darwin!
exsubs-computer:~ eXs$ sudo su
Password:
eXs is not in the sudoers file. This incident will be reported."

my password i put in is my password i set, i did also try my username with root, and a username of root with password as root, no avail.

thanks a lot if you can help me, if i can just get a administrator account i shall be sorted, or even convert my accout to administrator i'll be on my way, as it stands now, im completly stumped. i can't change any settings, i can't even save files anywhere other than my documents!

oh one last thing..

i have a windows computer with macdrive, so if i can externally edit the files from there to make my account admin that would be good.

thanks.

Here, another attempt.

Last login: Wed Oct 12 19:40:04 on console
Welcome to Darwin!
exsubs-computer:~ eXs$ sudo bash -l
Password:
eXs is not in the sudoers file. This incident will be reported.
exsubs-computer:~ eXs$ bash -l
exsubs-computer:~ eXs$ switch root
bash: switch: command not found
exsubs-computer:~ eXs$ root
bash: root: command not found
exsubs-computer:~ eXs$ sudo passwd root
exsubs-computer:~ eXs$ sudo passwd root

Unknown:
Macintosh model.
MacOS X version.

'... and i got a new osx with it. i think it's 10.4.' - if a DVD, and you can boot from it - most likely MacOS X 10.4. If a single, CD - you may be in for a rude awakening ... sometime, later.

'the control panel (well, you know what i mean)', no - state specifically what you have. in this example - you launched 'System Preferences'.

'I look at my account and it says "standard" below it.' - this is not an 'administrator's account.; it is a 'non-administrator's account.

It would be best, for you, to boot from the assumed MacOS X 10.4 installation Disc, reinstall MacOS X 10.4, and assign a valid 'administrator' to the (unknown model) Mac.

----

Naturally, my reply is based only on the information provided.

what would reinstalling do?.. i've just put a clean version on there, no hiccups or anything.

'the control panel (well, you know what i mean)', no - state specifically what you have. in this example - you launched 'System Preferences'.

im used to pc's, i forget what macs call them. But yes, the system prefrences.

---------

'I look at my account and it says "standard" below it.' - this is not an 'administrator's account.; it is a 'non-administrator's account.

yes i know it's not an administrators account, thats my point.

---------

It would be best, for you, to boot from the assumed MacOS X 10.4 installation Disc, reinstall MacOS X 10.4, and assign a valid 'administrator' to the (unknown model) Mac.

Shouldn't it have worked first time?... i didn't skip any steps in the welcome setup screen, it shouldn't have gone wrong :S

Do you have any other accounts on the machine that have admin credentials? You just need to login using one of the admin accounts.

Back