Just installed a new sound card and....

MrCampbell

Registered
I recently installed an M-Audio Audiophile 2496 internal soundcard in my Mac.
I thought things would be straight forward like when I was installing my emu 0404 into my pc but I was wrong.

Basically the sound card plays my audio messed up at any format above 32.000.0Hz. When I access the audio midi setup in OSX Tiger on the mac and change the format for the delta soundcard (audiophile 2496) to 44100.0Hz the sound just deteriates. It sounds fine for like 2 seconds then messes up then goes back to normal and the cycle just continues.

After hours of trying to solve this problem I gave up and decided to use the soundcard at 32000.0Hz, which I wasn't really pissed of about...

Until.....

I opened logic, everything was set up in logic, I made sure of that. I wanted to then clicked play on the transport bar to see if logic was recieving any data from my midi keyboard that worked,

But every 3-4 seconds while logic was in play I got this message:
"Error while trying to synchronize audio and midi"
"Sample rate 31950 not recognized"
"Check conflict between logic express and external device"

I figured this was something to do with the missed matched sample rates with logic and my soundcard. I set my sound card to 32000.Hz but couldnt set Logic to that sample rate because the sample rate in logic doesnt go that low.

The lowest the sample rate goes in logic to my knowledge is 44100hz.

I had 3 choices.
1) Find a way to lower logics sample rate to match the sample rate i had set my sound card to..
2) Find out the problem with my soundcard, find out if I can get it to work correctly at a sample rate of 44100hz so I can use it with logic because I dont want to use to use the built in audio that came with the mac.
3) To sign up with a few pro audio websites and get help.

Ive been trying to solve this problem for a ridiculous amount of time, Ive called up the help lines for the products taken their advice and nothings changed. So Im hoping maybe macosx users can help me solve my problem.

JUST IN

I was reading through the trouble shooting for the audiophile and saw some thing which describes my exact problem.

Problem: Repetitous sound
Possible Cause: Wrong IRQ or resource IRQ conflict. Often this will result in a small segment of sound (0.5 to 1 second) Repeating itself over and over.

That is my exact problem. How would I change to the correct IRQ in osx tiger on a mac g5 dual 2gz ?

Hello,

I'm not quite sure how to access and change the IRQ settings for a Mac. There's plenty of information on how to do that with PC's though. Perhaps the site where you found the IRQ information has what you need.

But as far as the M-Audio sound card...I must be brutally honest. M-Audio is not well-rounded for Macs. They are the only company that makes internal sound cards for Apple, but their products are extremely difficult to work with. They often cause severe problems to the system and distort the sound. I'm betting your new sound card is the actual issue. Try contacting M-Audio. And, if you have the money, take this sound card out of your PowerMac. If you're looking for sound card support, you can turn to Griffin Technology, which has just come out with a product called FireWave. This acts similar to an external sound card for PCs, and is connected through a USB cord. It delivers a 7.1 surround sound quality presentation.

Good luck.

Back