Just Installed Os 10.4: Email Import Stalls, Won't Complete

simoncarroll

Registered
One third way through the process of importing emails for the first time after installing OS 10.4, process stalls. I've tried more than a few times. I've updated to 10.4.1 but the problem persists. Yes I have a great many emails...about 12,000 according to the log. I regularly refer to very old ones so prefer all of them to be available. The time it says it will take to complete the process gets progressively longer and longer. i.e. 5 minutes eventually reads 5+ hours. Its quite swift importing to begin with bu progressivel slows to a stand still.

Any clues gratefully accepted.

Thanks.

-Simon

I had a similar problem, but at least in my case, it always stalled on the same mail message. Following the status displayed on "Messae Import" panel, I found that the problem was happening while processing a particular
directory, say, ~/Library/Mail/Mailboxes/foo/bar.mbx.
During importing process, Mail reads messages in mbox file and extract them out to files (like 12345.emlx) in a temporary folder like: Messages-T0x456cde0-E35wKF. If the extraction is complete, then it renames the folder to "Messages". Since the Mail was always failing on the same mbox, there were many of those temporary folders left.
Guessing that the table_of_contents is corrupted, I moved out the table_of_contents file in the problematic folder to desktop. I then relaunched Mail, and let it import messages again. It took a while processing the problem directory, but it eventually extracted messages successfully to "Messages" folder, and completed importing all the messages.
I do not know whether this is the best method, but at least it worked for me.

Also, do you have any non-Apple mail plugins? If, disable them. Those could be causing conflict.

simoncarroll said:
One third way through the process of importing emails for the first time after installing OS 10.4, process stalls. I've tried more than a few times. I've updated to 10.4.1 but the problem persists. Yes I have a great many emails...about 12,000 according to the log. I regularly refer to very old ones so prefer all of them to be available. The time it says it will take to complete the process gets progressively longer and longer. i.e. 5 minutes eventually reads 5+ hours. Its quite swift importing to begin with bu progressivel slows to a stand still.

Any clues gratefully accepted.

Thanks.

-Simon

What kind of files are you importing and in which program ? I have worked out a way of moving mails (from multiple users) from 3.9 server to 4.1 server without losing any (including attachments).

You can also try to cut part of the mails to find out after which it fails

Kees

Back