Just registered/set up password. Now I can't log in.

noahscevola

Registered
Hi,
So, imagine my excitement when the Mac iBook G4 I bought on eBay arrived today. I turned it on and merrily went about registering the OS in my name, setting up a password (which I didn't really want to do, but saw no way around it), checked my email, downloaded some updates, downloaded Firefox, and let it restart. Now when I turn it on the log in screen prompts me to enter my password and my password doesn't work. No matter how I try. I type in the password, the dialogue box convulses for a sec, and then, nothing.

It came with the OS start up disks, so I figured I'd try reinstalling the OS. I put in disk 1, but still no dice. I just get the login screen that won't accept the password I created.

Hello noahscevola, those install discs that you have need to be the exact set that shipped with the iBook G4 when it was released. What does it say on the label and what colour are the labels?

When you booted from the disc, did you press the "C" key?

. . . also, when you reboot, do you get the SAME log in page with the disks or is it different . . . does it have a "Padlock" picture?

The second is a firmware password to prevent people from doing what you might do--reboot on a disk and simply reinstall the OS to steal the computer.

If so, the guy who sold it to you should have given you that password.

Now why your previous password is not working I can only assume you accidentally keyed in what you thought was your password the first time.

--J.D.

Starting up from the Original iBook CD or DVD (holding down the "C" key when restarting) should not give you a login window, the first window you see should be the language selector.
after selecting a language you should be able to go to the utilities menu and change the password from there.

Last edited:
If there is the padlock image at boot when it is asking for the password at boot, then we have the open firmware password set on that system, and it prevents also booting from the install medias.

If there is an open firmware password, you should contact the Mac's previous owner, and make him/her give you that password.

Back