Just the fax, please!

macraptor

Registered
Running 10.1 is a whole new (and better) experience.

Wonderful.

But I cannot use it until I have some type of fax solution for the business and home. :mad:

I can't believe that all the work has gone into everything but the one item (fax) I cannot do without. FaxSTF (Smith Micro) said in June that they would be X'd in the "3rd quarter".

It is now 4th quarter, and not even a sign of a beta yet.

Anyone have any way around this, from within OS X?

yogel

Registered
I'm not sure... but i'm looking at HylaFax which looks promising... if I have any luck i'll let poeple know...

http://www.hylafax.org

best of all... it's free!!!! :)

Andrew

yogel

Registered
didn't read the readme

doesn't compile in os x.

there is another program called efax which compiles nicely, just can't open the /dev/modem thingy

so... if anyone has any bright ideas.. :)

Andrew

jwblase

Registered
Write apple on their feedback page and ask for the return of AppleFax. Back in System 7.5.x, they released it as a chooser extension. it worked wonderfully, even through OS 9.x. Maybe they can rewrite the concept and make it X compatible.

Why not? Anything Apple can do to make my life easier is worth it (i.e. AppleWorks, iTunes, iMovie, iDisk, OS X, Mail, Sherlock, etc...)

JB

blb

`'
There are two apparently modem-related devices in /dev: /dev/cu.modem and /dev/tty.modem. Perhaps one of these might work with efax? Note, however, don't try a 'cat /dev/cu.modem' in a Terminal, as the system will freak out for about a minute (iTunes stopped, nothing responded, etc), but eventually it came back...that time...