Jvc Camcorder No Longer Compatible With Osx 10.3.8

jmelasi

Registered
I upgraded from OS X 10.2.6 to version 10.3.8 and my JVC Camcorder (model - DVM 70) is no longer compatible with the new OS. Is there any way I can still have my camcorder work with the new OS, instead of purchasing a new camcorder?

jmelasi said:
I upgraded from OS X 10.2.6 to version 10.3.8 and my JVC Camcorder (model - DVM 70) is no longer compatible with the new OS. Is there any way I can still have my camcorder work with the new OS, instead of purchasing a new camcorder?
MacOS X 10.3 is a two-year old OS. How is it that you are the first to discover this incompatibility?

jmelasi said:
I just purchased OS 10.3.8 several months ago, while my camcorder is about 5 years old.
OK, it seems that I have to be a little blunter with you. MacOS X 10.3 is nearly two years old. In fact, it has been superseded by MacOS X 10.4. Your camera is about five years old. I guarantee that you are not the first MacOS X 10.3 user to try to download video from your model camera to iMovie. If there are problems, then they should be well-reported on JVC's support website and amateur videography websites, USNET newsgroups, etc. If not, then the problem is local.

Sorry, but I am not a REAL Mac user. We have 3 PC's at our house and one MAC. I purchased my Mac 2 1/2 years ago and have only used it for the iTunes and iPhoto. Thus, I know nothing about the Mac. If you could bare with me. I just purchased and loaded 10.3.8 and iLife '05 four months ago, then when I plugged in my camcorder and nothing downloaded. (I guess I should have specified the iLife '05, because maybe that's where my problem exists.) I called Mac support and they told me my camorder was no longer compatible.

Is your JVC camcorder a digital camcorder?

What program were you using to access the movies on your camcorder? iMovie, I hope. You mentioned iPhoto but not iMovie. iPhoto will only work with still pictures.

The other thing is when you plug in your camcorder, you need to run iMovie. It won't start automatically.

Try plugging in your camcorder with your Firewire cable, run iMovie, and then tell us what happens.

If all else fails, you could erase iLife 05 by dragging iMovie, iPhoto, iDVD and Garageband and install the iLife that did work with your camcorder. I'm not sure if you'd have to erase the preference files. Possibly. They're in [your user name]/library/preferences folder.

Doug

Back