KDE/Panther/XP

Neal Colingham

Registered
I was working from home today on my blazing Dell Optiplex GX1 (350 mhz) running XP so I popped in my Knoppix demo disk I got from the Linux/VM guy at work and rebooted. This creates a Debian Linux environment with the KDE graphical desktop and runs off the CD so nothing is installed. I cruised around and it struck me how much the GUI looks like XP which leads me to believe MS studied UNIX GUI's before writing XP. There is a place where you can display all the programs and select control panels..etc
I am unfamiliar with Unix/Linux so this was a suprise to me.
are there any comments from people that are more familiar with Unix/Linux
am I crazy ?

Neal

I am sure Microsoft took a few looks at Aqua before they created Luna or whatever it is called.

btw... try out damn small linux. 50MB. :)

Actually, it is a two way street. The guys working on the KDE interface tried to take out some good features from various GUI environment, providing that no IP right was violated.

Yea, KDE and GNOME are both poor representations of Windows... Windows came first in that showdown.

I think they all take from each other now. That is like that in every industry though so it's not like it's anything new.

While they do both borrow ideas, i would hardly call KDE a poor representation. No, it doesnt look exactly like windows. nether does OSX, and we all love that. If you havent tried SuSE 9 Pro, i suggest you do.

Pengu said:
While they do both borrow ideas, i would hardly call KDE a poor representation. No, it doesnt look exactly like windows. nether does OSX, and we all love that. If you havent tried SuSE 9 Pro, i suggest you do.

That is what version of Linux I use.

I really want to make a dual boot on my imac but untill they do them darn ppc gfx drivers from nvidia then i'm screwed lol

Back