Keep an eye on the Konfabulator countdown...

aaike

bacteria-troubled-brain
Some time ago I encountered a link on this forum to http://www.konfabulator.com/..
Since then I visited this site regularly. At the moment they are only days away of the launch of Konfabulator. What it is... enjoy to find out! I'm sure it will rock! I just thought I would throw this in.

The iTunes remote looks pretty slick, but I just worry about how much I will use something like this. That is unless its widgets float above all other windows, as I just about always have quite a few windows open, obscuring my desktop.

The widgets can be in whatever layer you want them to (I believe I read this somewhere at their forum). But the power of K lies within the ease of adjusting and making those type of widgets if I can believe the authors (which I do btw.)...

This will be one nice app. Not only an iTunes remote control, but it can show shows the weather, stocks, list of things to do, time, etc. Wonderful.:)

i think it won't be anything. It just a BIIIG joke of some mac-user!

The programming team doing this is lead by a former Apple programmer who created the Appearance control panel & theme system for Mac OS 9.
What is promised is an environment for making skinnable widgets, programmable in JavaScript. These also support AppleScript, XML, Perl and even shell commands. The widget skins can be designed in your favourite image editor.
It will be possible to make, redesign and distribute widgets for all sorts of applications. Wanna live view of how many copies of your book have sold, or how many hits your website is getting? Or a guage showing how much has been downloaded from specific servers? A custom weather forecast showing 3 places in your area on a map, all at once? A stock ticker for only the companies you're interested in? Perhaps a custom TV guide?

This looks like it will be a lot of fun and potentially very powerful. I wouldn't mind whipping up a tides-and-moon-phases widget, with a divers-watch look and feel, just to see if it can be done.

We should make a forum where you can ask people (who don't know how to program) to make a widget for you! here on macosx.com

would be nice! :)

I hope this will encourage people to learn it (I would be, if only I had some more time...). I guess you will be able to change the 'artwork' of a widget without any knowledge of programming...

I think the widgets are part of the desktop. They are not windows. They become a part of your desktop background. I suppose you can drag them around and close them.

Originally posted by solrac
I think the widgets are part of the desktop. They are not windows. They become a part of your desktop background. I suppose you can drag them around and close them.

That would be cool, but alas... http://www.konfabulator.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=210

From what I've been able to gather the system is based on some kind of Cocoa/Java source. While the widgets may appear to blend into the desktop, they are in fact like separate windows.

Whatever you want, wherever you want... indeed you can specify this imo. Only 3 days to ga and then we'll know for sure...

Oooh, very interesting. I suppose my forte would be making the front-end for this sort of thing. ;) Gotta love Photoshop.

I'm pretty excited, last week a co-worker gave me 6 javascript books, now I'll have something new and cool to do with them. Plus it supports xml. Very cool!

Back