Keeping folders organized

DCD

Registered
Why is it that every time I turn on my computer the icons in folders that I have previously organized are back to being all muddled up?? I choose to make them a certain size and organize them alphabetically...but they never stay that way after I switch off!! How the hell do you fix this annoying problem??

Cheers for any help

In almost every folder, there is a hidden file called .DS_Store. For some reason(I have no idea why) this file gets muddled up and the OS either can't or won't write the current icons locations or Folder views properly. The only way i have figured out how to fix this is to delete the .DS_Store file, set your icons the way you want them to appear, then log out and log back in again.

It happens to me all the time and if I had to pick my most annoying Mac glitch, this would be it. Well, I hate all the .dotfiles that the mac puts onto my windows box when I access a shared folder too... but thats another gripe. I hate metadata and HFS, grrrr.... they should use FreeBSD's filesystem too or xfs... Carbon be damned.

I know many of you will disagree, but if you are going to play in a UNIX world, you should use a UNIX filesystem. Defragging, : -> / translation, carbon's reliance on HFS+... anyway, just a rant :) I still love my powerbook.

Aside from backward compatibility, can anyone clue me in as to why HFS+ is the way to go?

in terminal:
sudo find / -name .DS_Store -exec chown username:wheel {} \;

NOTE: Replace username with your computer's username (i.e., the name of your home folder). Make sure there is a space between the {} and the \;

more in here

Thanks guys:) I'll give it a go now...

BTW...does anyone know if this is fixed in Jaguar? I haven't bough my copy yet...but I hope they fixed these annoying glitches!!

Once again thank you

Back