Keeping XP and Mac folders in sync

patrickq

Registered
I bought a Mac Pro laptop yesterday and set out to copy 5GB of my stuff in various folders on an XP machine to the Mac, with the intent to continue working with both machines and just copy changed files from one machine to the other to keep them in sync. Between XP machines, I just do:
XCOPY /S /D c:\mystuff \\otherserver\c$\mystuff
This simply copies everything from c:\mystuff to the same folder on the remote machine via the LAN.

I tried to poke around for ways to do that and failed. The closest I came to doing that was to drag & drop from the XP machine onto the Mac HD window - but this really just copies *everything* and what I need is just changed files. I even went to the Apple store (5th avenue New York) yet 3 different "genius" guys scratched their head and said they didn't know how it could be done. In fact, even when I simplified the issue and asked them to assume BOTH machines are Mac's, they still didn't know. Best suggestion they had was to using a Time Machine device and have both machines backup to it. This has the drawback that it costs $299, then if I need to sync the machines right now, need to have machine 1 sync, then machine 2 sync with the Time Machine - copying stuff twice and taking twice the time.

Help ...

Thanks,
Patrick

Back