Kensington StudioMouse - trouble and a headache

karavite

Registered
I did write Kensington, but this place is always quicker and more useful than any companies tech support - macosx.com is the BEST! Here is my note to them edited to be more forum-ish.

I just purchased a Kensington StudioMouse and it has been nothing but trouble. I downloaded the upgrade for their MouseWorks 2.2 and that did nothing to help. I cannot use the mouse for anything - clicking on dock icons, icons, web links, buttons, menus and anything else "clickable" results in nothing and after repeated clicks the item either responds or I get a right button action from the left button. I checked my mouseworks settings and no, I do not have left and right switched (sorry, but I have had my share of tech support responding to me as if I were a moron).

I have a Mac G4 DP 1 GHz running OS X 10.2.5. I have 768 MB of RAM. The StudioMouse is plugged into the same USB port my Logitech cordless mouse was plugged in to - the USB port on my MacAlly EZKeyboard (the Final Cut Pro keyboard with all the colored keys for using FCP). The keyboard itself is plugged directly into the G4. The other G4 USB port is connected to a entregra 4 port USB hub that is itself connected to an Epson printer, a Palm pilot and a digital camera. As far as I know, I never installed any drivers to run the Logitech mouse - it just worked. Oh, the other USB port of the keyboard is connected to a Countour "Shuttle Pro" - a input device for Final Cut Pro that includes some function buttons and a wheel for advancing/shuttling through video. Both the Shuttle Pro and Keyboard have driver and configuration software that is active.

The batteries on the StudioMouse are fully charged. Also, could anyone please tell me the function of the little slider button on both the mouse and the base? It looks like it has two options - one is a single line "I", the other is a double line "II" - the manual that comes with this mouse does not seem to tell me what these buttons do (or, it is very hard to find and could be remedied with a simple diagram like most product manuals). I have these set to "I"

I'm sorry if I sound snotty, but I hate wasting my time and money, especially on something as simple as a dumb mouse. I have my share of lousy peripherals lately and I only hope that lousy companies that make lousy products will soon fail in this harsh, but so much more realistic economy. I have owned Kensington products before and they have always been top notch - if this had not been the case I would have returned this instantly and wouldn't be wasting your time or my own.

P.S. The StudioMouse is both wireless and optical. I bought it to replace my ever faithful Logitech cordless ball mouse that I tire of cleaning every week or two. Maybe I should get a new Logitech that is both wireless and optical?

FYI, it is the mouseworks software that has conflicts with all kinds of other software including QuicKeys (which I use) and/or other software for assiging macros or shortcuts. What a bunch of lame developers they must have at Kensington.

Ah.... reminds me of the days of Extension conflicts.... hey, everybody remember "Conflict Catcher?" A few more versions of OS X, and we might need another version of that, again.

I have had the Mouse-in-a-Box optical for months now. Worked great with my OS X machine just plugging it in, thought I would install the software to get a little more functionality...I have had nothing but trouble since. Scrolling with the wheel has the windows jumping all over the place. Did an immediate uninstall, removed any reference I could find of the software and I still have the same problems. I am so pissed I'm ready to do a complete re-install, over a mouse.

So it's the kensington software that does that?!?!?!

I've got a Kensington Iridio mouse. I got it because I needed a scroll wheel/two button mouse and it was small and my wife prefers a smaller mouse. However the scrolling has been a headache. That really pisses me off.

I think i'm going to get a logitech next time as well.

You might at least try USB Overdrive (check it out at versiontracker).

In Jan 2000 I bought Kingsington TurboBall. Mouseworks had all sorts of problems (never resolved I don't think either) and gave up on Kingsington drivers and tried USB Overdrive. This worked perfectly for the TurboBall.

The TurboBall was all that was available in Jan 2000. It worked fine for about 6-12 months. The roller shafts were poorly designed rubber disc on a shaft and bearings plastic unlike much better Trackball utilizing stainless steel bearings. I am giving up on the TurboBall as it sticks frequently (frustrating no end) and difficult for frequent cleaning.

I was looking at Wireless opticals (mice) for replacement of TurboBall. StudioMouse was possibility that looked interesting. Thanks for your post comments on that mouse. I probably won't buy it now.

I am now considering Logitech MX 700.

I have a Wireless Turbo Mouse Pro. I am using MouseWorks. I have had no problems with either the mouse or the software. I have used it since OS 9.0.

I've had different Kensington mice and they and MouseWorks have worked great for years. Kensington seems to outsource their support, which seems to suck. But they seem to be good about monitoring their web board at http://www.forum.maccessories.com/ .

Good luck.

Back