Kernal Panic Error

Alevine

Registered
I too have had the same similar problem found thoughout this forum. When I begin to install OS X PB I get the happy mac,the spinning colorful disk in the top left, and the below error appears:

"Unresolved Kernel Trap: 0x300 Date access DTSR=0x4000000 DAR 0x40000120 PC=0x1a58d2c

Generating stack backtrace prior to panic:

Backtrace: 0x01a58d2c 0x00000018 0x01958df0
0x01959458 0x01a5403c 0x01a533e0
0x0024942c 0x0024e4F8.... so on

Memory access exception(1,0,0)
Waiting for remote debugger Connection."

… and that's it ! Nothing more. It doesn't give me options to continue as other readers have mentioned.

I did notice that my Apple branded CD-Rom stopped spinning the moment the happy mac came on the screen. The colorful disk continued to spin regardless. It is evidently stopping my CD-Rom from spinning and halting installation early on.

I have correctly hacked the System Disk and placed it on the separate drive that I wish to install OS X PB. Everything under the sun has been tried: removing RAM,switching SCSI busses and ID's, placing my Twin Turbo in different slots, removing all other devices, rebuilding the desktop, and rebooting in every combination possible.

WHY IS APPLE TRYING TO DO EVERYTHING POSSIBLE TO KEEP US FROM INSTALLING OS X PB ON UNSPPORTED MACHINES ! This will not force me to buy a new Mac.

Me: J700/G3-300-512/176/OS 8.6/Twin Turbo 2M/SCSI IBM 4.3GB ID 1(boot)/SCSIFireball ST 2.1GB(for OS X pb)/Apple CD-Rom/Panasonic CD-R

Many J700 & S900 machines have successfully installed OS X already.

Unsupporting certain hardware is fine with me, but KEEPING people from installing on unsupported machines is just not right.

Sure, they never tested it. Well they don't want me too either.

Please, save your criticism and post only productive answers.

Thank you.

I get the same problem on a 6 week old G4 DP.

The funny thing is, that this result is from a drive moved from an identical G4 DP that installed like a beeze. That machine burned (literally) and I moved the drive and got the kernel trap error.

Dennis

Originally posted by dtempleton
I get the same problem on a 6 week old G4 DP.

The funny thing is, that this result is from a drive moved from an identical G4 DP that installed like a beeze. That machine burned (literally) and I moved the drive and got the kernel trap error.

Dennis

Figured it out. My problem was a video PCI card. I had one in the old machine that worked OK (IXMicro, I think) and the new machine has one that doesnt. The one that doesn't work is a DIamond Javelin 3000.

Works fine with that removed.

Dennis

Back