kernal panics after 10.1.3

j-ro

Registered
Hi

Have just updated to 10.1.3 on my B+W G3 300 and now the system crashes with a kernal panic every time I start up. It occurs about 30 seconds after the login screen appears, whether I have logged in or not. Have run "sbin/fsck -y" until it found no problems, but no change. It was running fine up until this point. Have no SCSI cards or devices attached.

Hope someone can help!!

j-ro

Tried removing the Adaptec kernel (got the spelling right at last!) extensions and since then it has been working like a dream - noticeably faster, too.

:)

A friend of mine has a blue and white just like yours and it has the same damn problem. How do you remove the adaptec thing? the only thing is he uses the scsi for mac 9 but i doubt it would be any use in 10 as he wants to use 10.

Garrett

Someone on another thread somewhere mentioned that the Adaptec drivers were known to cause problems, so I did a search on Sherlock (in OS9) and found them in System/Library/Extensions. Removed the four Adaptec .kext files and tried restarting in X with fingers crossed. Very glad not to see the black text of death appear, and it's been working fine ever since.

When I first installed OS X on my B+W I had to actually remove the SCSI card to get it to run, and in fact I still only put the card in and restart in 9 when I need to do some scanning. Bit of a hassle, but better than kernel panics any day.

Hope this works for your friend,

j-ro

Back