Kernel Panic at Startup in Tiger on MBP

CaptainValor

Registered
This issue has been bugging me for about a week now with no resolution as of yet. First, here is the problem...

Whenever I attempt to start up Mac OS X 10.4 on my 15" Core Duo MacBook Pro, I get through the regular grey Apple logo spinning wheel portion, and then right as grey-blue background comes up (and just after the cursor is displayed), the system just stops. I don't see the "Mac OS X Starting up" box or any progress indicator, and the hard drive has no activity. Sometimes I see a very faint image of the standard "You need to restart your computer message box", that's how I know this is a Kernel Panic.

Here are the steps I've gone through to try to remedy this...

- I can start up successfully in Safe Mode by holding Shift at startup
- I have used my install disc to run a Disc Repair and no problems were found
- I have booted into Single User mode and run fsck, no problems found
- I have used multiple utilities, such as Tiger Cache Cleaner, to clean my system cache
- I have removed all items from all my StartupItems folders

None of these troubleshooting steps had any effect. At this point I believe the problem is related to the Kernal Extension Cache file that OS X loads at a normal startup, but not during a Safe Mode startup. However, I don't know why TCC is not clearing this cache file or even if it can be cleared. Also, I might have some 3rd party KEXT causing a problem, but since my panic.log file does not show any information for these crashes, I cannot isolate which one.

Help me, people! Thanks in advance :)

UPDATE

Just want to let everyone know that thanks to the awesome support here at MacOSX.com, my problem is now solved. Ironically, all it took was reinstalling the latest 10.4.8 Combo Update. Who would have thought...

Back