Kernel Panic Galore

strunz

Registered
Mac G4 MDD, 2 GB RAM, Dual 1.25 MHz Processors, FW 800, OS X 10.5.8

My tale of woe...

A couple of weeks ago, my Mac started throwing kernel panics all over the place at random. One in particular was while attempting to burn a DVD with Toast Titanium 9, it would crash just as the disc started to burn.

I'd heard that USB 2 cards were suspect in many of these cases. So I removed it, to no avail. Then, I began the troubleshooting process. I performed a clean system install. I checked all my drives with Disc Utility and Disk Warrior. I checked the RAM and the PRAM battery. The crashes declined in frequency, but still exist. in particular, when I turn on my MOTU 828 Firewire Audio interface, it crashes immediately, So I deleted all MOTU software, including Digital Performer, and reinstalled the MOTU drivers. No change. Then, I booted in safe mode, and the problem disappeared. Additionally, rather than crashing in Toast Titanium, just before the disc burns, I get a "connection not stable" message, which renders the same effect.

I'm not so much concerned about exactly what the problem is as I am about whether it's with software or hardware. If it's hardware, I'll just get another computer, however, I don't want to do that if it's something in the software that can be corrected.

What's a mother to do? Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

In addition, when I used the Find command to locate MOTU software, nothing would show up that was in any of the Library folders. I had to find those files by hand. Am I doing something wrong?

Back