Kernel Panic – now I can't startup OS X

eric halfabee

You talking to me!
Hi

I'm just got into work and found that my Mac had frozen in OS X (10.1.2) while performing Norton Disk Doctor operation, (I had set it to log problems only and not fix them). I then restarted and did the 'command + s' thing to run fsck -y, it reported a incorrect leaf node (or something similar) and said it fixed it, I then ran it again and it came back OK. I then ran the command reboot and it proceeded to startup. It went through the process but the delivered a kernel panic while still in the screen with the happy mac icon and beachball.

So I then restarted and ran fsck -y again, but this time I got the kernel panic during this process. I now get the kernel panic all the time. I didn't write down what it all said but it had this at the end "panic: we are hanging here..."

Can someone help as I cannot get past this point. I am going to try and boot from the Emergency CD I created, I'll let you know how this goes.

Funny thing was I saying to myself last night (I'm in New Zealand), that I've had only 1 kernel panic before which I think was in 10.0.3, but numerous freezes crashes etc in OS X (different vesions).

My system is:
Quicksilver 733MHz
640 MB RAM
OS X 10.1.2
OS 9.2x
Miles BlueNote SCSI card – connected to 100 Zip drive and Seagate DDS3 Tape Drive
1 x 40 GB HDD in 2 partitions
1 x 9 GB SCSI HDD (OS 9)

Thanx in advance

Rich

:confused:

UPDATE

I managed to startup with the CD, ran Disk Utility no errors reported.

Unplugged the external SCSI devices and my attached USB PALM. It rebooted OK, so I guess that it was either the SCSI or the Palm, my money's on the SCSI.

Would still appreciate your comments though.

Cheers

Hello Eric,

I had the same problem with kernel panics on startup and no success with the fsck -y command...what you might wanna try is booting up using your OS9 CD and then running disk first aid when you are all started up...that should repair your disk and stop the kernel panics on OSX

hope that helps :)

Hi Testuser

I've just taken a look at the afore mentioned Extensions folder and I nearly Kexted my pants ;). Anyway there are certainly a lot of these kext and other things in there, from what I can gather via their names I can say that most are from Apple, but there are a few that are interesting. These be:

SymOSXKernelUtilities
symfs
DeleteTrap – this one sounds dangerous??

Would you by any chance know what these are and whom they are from. Their modification dates are 24, or 28 Jan 2002.

Hey wait a minute... sorry I've just had a quick poke around and found out that these 3 belong to Symantec as I have been using or should say testing their beta of Disk Doctor etc.

Oh well sorry to waste your time.

Thanks again for your replies.

Cheers

Rich

from what i've heard, that norton beta has been known to screw up a lot of stuff, but i haven't seen kernal panics i don't think... well anyway... have you tried removing it and seeing if the problem still exists? (you may need to reinstall os x to get all of your files back to their original, pre-nortonized, states. :rolleyes:

Ran into the same problem which seems to happen when you have external storage devices connected. My Cube 450 with a bootable external Firewire drive has the Kernel Panic sometimes. More than the Kernel Panic I get a broken OX system folder.

Here is what works for me every time:
1. Boot up from an external OS 9 volume
2. Switch your startup disc to the default Classic system folder
3. Boot with the Classic OS
4. Run First Aid in Utilities
5. Voila. Works for me like a charm. Every time.

Now please someone tell me what I can do to PREVENT this from happening =) Doh.

Kai

i used to have the same problem with my firewire burner. I'd shut it off, and get a kernel panic. The problem hasn't happen since 10.1.0 though. Ever since the more recent updates, it hasn't happend. Is everything on your end up to date?

I just came on here to post this exact same problem. I had this happen just now, and I am now in 9.2 environment of my hard disk. It started right after I ran the remove .kext terminal app in the Adaptec 2906 beta .kext img. I will now disconnect my external SCSI Lacie (sony) CDR to see if that helps. Will come back and post anything if not. I am trying to get my CDR to work!

I love this board, it is the only place I can go and find an answer to my OSX questions without writing my own post... Will keep everyone posted...

Originally posted by Gedankenspiel
Ran into the same problem which seems to happen when you have external storage devices connected. My Cube 450 with a bootable external Firewire drive has the Kernel Panic sometimes. More than the Kernel Panic I get a broken OX system folder.

Here is what works for me every time:
1. Boot up from an external OS 9 volume
2. Switch your startup disc to the default Classic system folder
3. Boot with the Classic OS
4. Run First Aid in Utilities
5. Voila. Works for me like a charm. Every time.

Now please someone tell me what I can do to PREVENT this from happening =) Doh.

Kai

whew...ok...then I'm not crazy. I'm glad someone else has used the method that I did, it's pretty funny that the only way to get OSX working sometimes is to use OS9...

UPDATE: Do not reply to this, I posted a new thread on this under the main forum. Please help me there if you can!! =)

Ok,

I disconnected all devices except for my keyboard. This included my external CDR, an external Belkin USB Hub, and my Microsoft Intellimouse Optical. Restarted into OS X. Still freezes with the happy face mac and the color beachball just stops spinning. I have not received any visual error messages.

I also tried:

1) Starting up FROM the OS X CD and ran disk utility - after verification it reported nothing wrong. Restarted, frozen again.

2) Starting up FROM the OS 9.2 CD and ran Disk First Aid - after verification it reported nothing wrong. Restarted, frozen again.

3) Starting up ON the local drive under OS 9.2.2 and ran Disk First Aid - after verification it reported nothing wrong. Went to startup disk, restarted into OS X, frozen again.

4) After reading the previous posts under this topic, held down command + s. A screen with system text popped up but nothing happened and I was unable to enter any text or commands.

It just plain freezes! What else can I do? I burned a backup cd of my data in OS 9. Do I have to reinstall? If so, will it erase the data in my users' folder?

Can I throw away or move an .kext from the system folder through OS 9? If so, which ones? I still see some adaptec ones that were in the sytem, and I also have the el-gato CDRW helper installed. Could this be causing it? Thanks BIG TIME, ahead of time.

macuser4life
400 mHz G4 AGP Model

Back