Kernel Panic on Login

phatphil

Registered
This is really weird, my computer shut down fine last nite, and I didnt do anything out of the ordinary. And now, everytime I login on my username I get a kernel panic and it forces me to restart... I can login as root fine, so I could make a new user account but I'd like to see if there's an easier fix here.

iBook G3 900mhz 12.1"
Tiger 10.4.2
384 MB RAM

I've already tried:
- Repair Permissions in Disk Utility
- Repair Disk on OSX CD in Disk Utility

No external devices connected, and I only have the internal HD, with 1 partition.

Here's the results of running disk repair:
Repairing disk for "iBook HD"
Mounting Disk(S, "Checking HFS Plus volume.", 0)
Checking Extents Overflow file.
Checking Catalog file.
Reserved fields in the catalog record have incorrect data.
Checking multi-linked files.
Checking Catalog hierarchy.
Checking Extended Attributes file.
Invalid leaf record count.
(It should be 3 instead of 749)
Checking volume bitmap.
Checking volume information.
Repairing volume.
The volume iBook HD was repaired successfully.

Repair attempted on 2 volumes
1 HFS volume repaired
1 volume could not be repaired

After running it a second and third time, here is the only error that persisted:
Invalid leaf record count.

I also ran the TechTool Deluxe Apple Care CD and everything passed except for Volume Structure, which I'll run and repair tonite (ran for over 3 hours and wasnt finished and I needed to use my comp).

Any ideas? Since it's only on my login and not all that pretty much isolates it to something in my User folder... but what?

I'm having the same problem. I am trying to login and it keeps kernel panicing. I tried holding shift while logging in, it worked once. That one time that it did work, I removed all items from from the login items tab (removed, not uncheck). However, it still kernel panics, and holding shift wont do anything. Any tips?

Back