Kernel Panic panic

PabloDiablo

Registered
Hi all! I'm a Classic PowerUser having trouble with UNIX... I'm running 10.2 on a dual 1GHz 133MHz Bus, and on a 17' iMac, and I'm arbitrarily running into kernel panics on both machines at least twice a week. I haven't been able to establish a pattern, I always seem to be either doing something diferent or not doing anything at all when I get the kernel panic. attached is the last entry in each of the panic logs from the log folders on each machine... if anyone can help me interpret this, I'd greatly appreciate it... Thanks in advance!!!!

[p]

frown

Attachments

• paniclogs.txt
    1.8 KB · Views: 39
Try an "Extensions-off" restart by holding down the Shift key all the way through startup until beyond Log-In (not during typing, bviously) until everything quietens down and desktop's running happily and see how you go: only panic I ever had was due to DoubleCommand extension, which was quickly fixed anyway.

It just randomly panics? Do you have any common hardware between the two machines (SCSI is often a culprit in OS X)? I looked at the panic logs (which are in rtf format, not plain text like the extension makes it seem), and I didn't seen anything particularly striking (the back trace didn't seem complete), so its hard for me to tell beyond that. Its interesting to note though that they are not panic'ing on the same methods.

Sorry I couldn't be much more help.

LordOphidian, I know, that's the weird part... as little as I know about this, the two instances seem unrelated from what I could gather of the logs. BTW, no SCSI, the iMac has no peripherals except Pro Speakers and mose/kboard, but the Dual is most of the time connected to a 60GB Lacie Pocketdrive, a 10GB iPod, and sometimes a DV camera...

Besides, I've got Jag installed on my TiBook 500, another TiBook 500, two iBooks, and a Dual that's almost identical in config to the one that's panic'ing, except for less RAM (hm.....there's a thought... it's factory installed RAM, but who knows?), and I'm having absolutely no problems with those installs. Matter of fact, Jaguar rocks, IMHO...

As for the rtf's, I know, but the forum wouldn't let me upload the rtf's (dunno why) so I 'fooled' it a bit...:D

I truncated the panic logs to just the last instance in order to show both machines.... I might have, in ignorance, left something out. Would it help if I posted them in their entirety?

Any bit helps, BTW, and is always appreciated.

THX!!!!!

[p]

I doubt you missed anything... it has the begining and the end, so unless you some how messed up both cut and pastes its fine.

As for what is causing them, i have no idea, since the back trace doesn't leave much info behind in this case.

I put "Extensions off" in quotes because I was talking about similar process to OS 9,etc. What it disables are extra prefpanes and screensavers and things like that (which are more likely to cause panics I think), but keeps all OSX System ones.

Back