Kernel panic problem on old mac

pacas

Registered
Hi

I hope somebody here has an idea that can help.

I recently bought a used iMac 500 (indigo) which I think had the original system OS loaded on it (X / 9.2). It was booted into 9.2 when I started it. Everything appeared fine - no program errors, no problems.

Well, I had to go and wreck it. I changed the startup to boot in OS X (I can't remember what version, now) and upon restart, recieved a kernel panic (white text over the grey "happy mac" screen." I know, I shouldn't have messed with a good thing. But that's water under the bridge, now.

Here's the problem: I don't have the original system disks. And even if I did, I don't think this thing is getting much into the boot process (it crashes about .5 seconds after the "happy mac."

I tried booting with a OS 9.1 full install disc with "apple-c", but with no luck (same screen, same message). I don't think it's even getting to the disc. I also tried "apple-s" for single-user mode, but with the same result.

Is there any way to get back to OS9.2? I wouldn't mind sticking with that; this machine will be used mostly to play kids games, most of which are 5-7 years old anyway. I don't really want to buy OS X for this machine, and worry whether it would work or not, anyway.

Thanks for any help.

Chris

Back