Kernel Panic when booting even from CD

AztecKnight

Registered
I have been working on this for nearly two days now. The short version of my trouble is that any time I try to boot from OS X, I get a kernel panic right away. Even when booting from CD. I can boot fine into OS 9.

The details:

I was had my Powerbook 800MHZ G4 Titanium hooked up in target disk mode to a G4 that had some troubles. I had just had to reformat it and I wanted to copy all of the data that I had backed up on my Powerbook to the G4. It locked up on me. After that point, I could not boot the PowerBook. It would freeze and leave a design through the startup Apple. It would not start from CD either. I finally got it booted from an external firewire drive with 9.2.2 on it. I used Norton 6.02 and had to show missing disks. Norton found a plethora of crosslinked files and directory block troubles. It could not finish due to an unknown error. I ran Disk First Aid and it would not repair all the problems. Disk First Aid suggested trying again, but the same thing happened. I finally crashed, but when I restarted it came up from the internal drive on OS X 10.2.4. I then backed up my data to one partition of te firewire drive and cloned the whole drive to another. When I tried to boot from the clone, I got the same crash. Finally getting back running, I reformatted the drive and copied Mac OS 9.2.2 to it. It booted in 640x480 mode minature in the middle fo the screen. It thinks it has two monitors attached and video mirroring on. I turned off mirroring and It used the full screen but only with 256 colors. I tried to install OS 10.2 form disk, but I now get a normal kernle panic instantly. It will still boot in OS 9but with the monitor issue. If I hooke up in target disk mode, it can be booted and works. I have tried changin the RAM. Any ideas?

Quick question, can you insert ANY CD and read the CD? Because if you want, you may want to try and clear out the PRAM. I had the same problem for the longest time and I could never understand why the CD-ROM would not work. This also caused the same problem you are having with booting off the CD and getting a kernel panick.

Clearn the PRAM. Shut down the computer, wait a few seconds, turn on the computer, hold down 'COMMAND, OPTION, PR' this will erase the PRAM settings. You will hear your Mac chime and reboot. Try from there.

Just a tip.

Greg

Back