Kernel Panic while installing OSX

ivorycj

Registered
So I've searched around this site (great resource, btw!) for an answer to my specific question, but can't seem to find it. Maybe my Google-Fu is weak today... :D

So here's the deal: I have a Tiger disc that I have tried unsuccessfully to install on my dual G5 say...21 times. Tried starting from CD. Tried safe mode. Tried re-setting nvram. Tried water-boarding myself. Nope.

Here's my question: Is there a way to fool the computer into formatting the disk so that it HAS to re-install OS X? It's still under Apple Care - I'll probably just take it to the Apple store this weekend, but I was sure hoping to record some music tonight...

Specs of the G5:

Dual G5 2.3 GHz, 1.15 GHz bus speed, 512 MB ram (I have a 1GB stick to install)
250GB HD, only 21GB used.

Never seen this one before...thanks in advance for your expertise!

CJ

Hi CJ,

First of all, is that disk a separate retail box version of 10.4, or did it come with a Mac?
What color is the install disc (gray or black)? Does the kernel panic throw the reason on the screen? Most often I've seen constant kernel panics at install on systems where everything works otherwise fine when an incorrect disc is being used for install. Such as Tiger or Leopard disc which came with a Mac of another model (and with intel vs ppc processor),

This is a separate retail box version of Tiger (black disc) - this G5 was a floor model (from Guitar Center) that didn't come with OS discs.

Do you have the discs that came with that Mac? Running Apple Hardware Test in extended mode looped for a few hours or even overnight could find potential issues with the RAM. Then again if you have other RAM sticks, trying with them will be much faster.

Giaguara, I don't have the discs that came with it - this was a floor model. I'll try the RAM thing and let you know.

Are you able to get the computer booted up from the Installer disk? At what point are you getting a failure?

If you're able to boot from the 10.4 disc, you can go to the Utilities menu, open Disk Utility and then erase the drive inside the iMac and start fresh. I would recommend that you do that ONLY if you don't care about any of the current data on the hard drive.

Are you able to get the computer booted up from the Installer disk? At what point are you getting a failure?

If you're able to boot from the 10.4 disc, you can go to the Utilities menu, open Disk Utility and then erase the drive inside the iMac and start fresh. I would recommend that you do that ONLY if you don't care about any of the current data on the hard drive.
Christopher,

The computer will simply not boot from CDROM at all. The failure comes when I either a. start from CD with Tiger in the drive, or b. if I double click the 'Install Tiger' icon when the computer is running. It boots up fine outside either of these scenarios.

Regarding what's on the HD, I could care less - bought it as a floor demo, it has some software registered to the store I bought it from - I want to wipe it clean, install Logic Studio + some plug-ins, and that's it. She's going to be a music computer only.

cJ

Back