Kernel Panic

jamerican

Registered
After being advised by the Apple tech at CompUSA that my HDD in my Dual 2.0GHZ PowerMac was failing, I replaced the stock 160GB HDD with a Seagate 300GB HDD. I got the machine to boot up, but in the process of transferring my files from an external FW HDD with my old system, I seem to have really screwed things up and now am getting a kernel panic with every startup method that I try.
Press X during startup - No go
Option-command-shift-Delete - No go
C during startup - no go
Shift during startup - no go

I have not tried Command-V to start in Verbose mode as I do not know what to do after that. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Edit: I just booted from the Tiger install disc by holding down the Option key and am now in the process of wiping the drive and doing a clean install, then an upgrade to OSX 10.4.5. It seems as if there is something wrong with the system on the backup drive. Can anyone advise me as to what files/folders I should transfer to the new setup when the installation is finished? Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

I would say transfer the data that was in your Home folder over to the new system and user account. As for anything else, applications can usually be reinstalled from your discs or downloaded and reinstalled (if they were free for download). As for anything else, I don't think you would need to transfer anything else over especially if it's system related. The installer should handle that for you on the new operating system install.

Thanks for your help. I dragged the Users folder and Applications folder from the external drive and I am up and running, although I have to re-install some applications. One application that would not copy was TechToolPro. I have the disc, however, and have to install it.
This excercise has also given me a chance to get rid of some junk that I had on my system.
Again, thanks for your help.

Yeah, even though some Applications will move fine, it's usually the ones that you can just drag and drop into the Applications folder. Those apps that installed via and installer might not do so well with the move, hence the need to reinstall.

Incidentally, I need to do the same thing with my iMac G5. I've been wanting to play with some 64-bit PPC Linux on it but I need to backup everything first. Eventually, I guess.... :p

Back