Kernel Panick after Reinstalling 10.2 over 10.3

dixonbm

Registered
I'm working on a friend's G4 Powerbook. Last week we upgraded him to 10.3. However during the course of the week he realized his main app Pro Tools wouldn't work without an update and of course he didn't have the serial number available....it was at the office. So his buddy has the bright idea to just install 10.2 over it to get Pro Tools working again. I know, I thought the same thing...what an idiot. Anyway after he did that it would boot but about the only thing he could get to run was iTunes. Completely trashed his machine. Anyway today I went over and did an archive and install of 10.2. It booted after install but after downloading and installing combined updater and other updates it gives me a kernel panick every time. I'm able to boot off other drives, so I figure it's not hardware related.

I'm guessing there were remnants of 10.3 still on the drive causing problems, so I'm in the process of zeroing data on the drive and then I'm going to do a new install of 10.2 so we can get him 'back to where he was.'

Does anyone have any thoughts or other suggestions/recommendations as to what I should do?

Thanks!

Odds are you still have journaling on, which wasn't supported in 10.2 until 10.2.3. You should be able to turn it off using the disk utility on the 10.3 CD (it is hidden, but it is there).

Great, what have I gotten myself into.

Now after reinstalling again and performing the updates I get the "Welcome to Open Firmware.." screen. Asks me to type in "mac-boot" to boot or "shut-down" to shutdown.

Any ideas??

Yeah, don't be impatient and take a chance on completely hosing your machine instead of just partially. ;)

Oh, and read this.

After hours and hours of reinstalling time after time with different discs using different methods I found one that worked. I plugged in the PB using firewire disk mode and booted my desktop G4 off the PB hard drive after installing my Software discs for my G4 desktop onto the PB hard drive. It booted fine and then I installed updates. This is all going through the Desktop. And then I gave it a try booting straight from the PB. It worked as well. I don't know why this way worked, but it seemed to get around the kernel panick and other errors it was having after installation and updates when done directly on the machine itself.

Erhm... Why didn't you just get the ProTools updater and the serial number and used 10.3.2? It seems like all these installations would not have been necessary. Just a ride to the office?

Back