Kernel panics every 30 mins

Appleicious

Registered
OK, I started out by originally installing OS X 10.0, then I applied the [comprehensive] 10.0.4 update. After that, I applied the 10.1 update (not the full install). These update were done over a period of months as they were made available.

Now my main problem is that I get a kernet panic about every half hour. This is really getting annoying (especially in the last few days). My system is almost unusable, while friend's systems are running for days on end.

I have /not/ installed any program that will mess with the system/dock/finder/etc. The only programs I have installed are regular ones that are pre-compiled and ready to go (your standard-issue apps).

I'm thinking of backing up my HD on my second drive (which currently houses 9.2.1), doing a clean install of the full 10.1 CD, then slowly reinstalling my apps and copying my saved files over. Is this a good approach? Or is there some kind of diagnostic tool that I can use first in hopes of finding a solution.

I just did a clean install of 10.1 on an identical machine at work and the thing has been up for a whole week (and still is running right now). That is what made me decide to do a completely clean install. /And/ that machine only has 128MB of RAM while I have 448.

Please give any advice you have on this situation. I simply can't stand the kernel panics anymore.

Why did you update to 10.0.4??? That may be a reason for your kernelpanics! Just update to 10.1. If you are now pissed of and you want to reinstall OS X you dont have to reinstall 10.0! Just start up from the 10.1 update CD. However report the panic to apple! Good luck!

The only peripherals I have are:

1) M$ Intellimouse Explorer 3.0
2) Orange Micro SCSI PCI card

I'll try taking out the SCSI card and see what happens. And I'll check the RAM when I get home. Thanks.

Also, the kernel panics don't usually have any details in their backtrace info. But last night, one of them let to the Apple USBKeyboard driver in IOKit! Don't know if that is a good thing or not...

Back