Kernel Panics in Panther - my saga

BitWit

Flash/JavaScript nerd
I have had a new PB G4 since November with no probs, until the last week, when I've had 15-20 kernel panics (aka annoying freezes with cryptic messages).

I did all the standard troubleshooting stuff: maintentance, fsck, cron, DS-Store cleanup, repairing permissions, repairing disks, re-install system, Apple Harware Test, use different applications, but nothing helps.

I was digging around the discussion groups on apples site, when I ran into quite a few posts relating these kernel panics to some bad aftermarket RAM that suppliers were installing (as part of incentives).

So today I called Apple, and the rep seems almost positive that the RAM is the issue. My next steps are to
1.) remove the RAM and see if the troubles go away.
2.) contact MacMall to get the RAM replaced (hah! sounds like fun, eh?)

Anyways, I expect that there will be some more people with these issues, so I'll keep this thread updated with what happens. Also, some folks have reported that the faulty RAM can corrupt system files, and after removing the RAM, the system still hangs until you reinstall.

Had similar problems and it was the RAM that caused them.

If you have two RAM chips installed use one at a time and see if the system will start. Mine was fine with one module but the other was faulty. If i used both i would get a panic.

I have had similiar problems with an Xserve and bad ram, it would constantly reboot itself or kill services, it turned out that the bad ram had damaged the socket on the logicboard and the whole logicboard needed to be replaced.

I have removed the 512 MB ram and had no problems (except a slower computer) for 3 days straight now.... coming from at least 2 kernel panics a day...

I think we've got the problem nailed, in a few more days, I will start pestering macmall about replacing my RAM... (that should be fun :rolleyes: )

definitely the ram. definitely ("k-mart sucks!" - think Rain Man)

anyway, yeah, I had the same issue, and after 7 days w/o one of the chips, I had no more kernel panics, and haven't had any since. (we're talking almost 2 a day for 6 months straight - I switched from windows, where I was used to this and could put up with it...)

now I'm KP free for 4 months. it's a beautlful thing. good luck with MM.

Hopefully my ending to this story...a happy one:

MacMall listened when I said flat out "Apple told me the free RAM is defective".

They overnighted me a new chip and a fedex slip to return the bad card. Hat's off to MacMall for exceeding expectations!

So far, crash-free for 3 days. :D

Ugh, the beast rears its head again.

Today, I was multi-tasking (two monitors, iTunes, USB mouse, FireFox, Mail, Fireworks)...and my Mac started getting hotter and hotter... which is normal for running i-Tunes or Flash. So anyways it kernal panics and freezes.

I let it cool down, and start trying to restart it, but it wont start beyond the open-firmware screen of scariness... so I take out my replacement 512MB chip... no go...OK, so I put it back in and take out the OEM 256MB chip... bingo... startup, now I'm here to tell you about it.

:(

Its less than 6 months old, so maybe I have something.

I think my boss is just going to get me a second 512 so I'll shut up and keep working. :p

BitWit said:
Ugh, the beast rears its head again.

Today, I was multi-tasking (two monitors, iTunes, USB mouse, FireFox, Mail, Fireworks)...and my Mac started getting hotter and hotter... which is normal for running i-Tunes or Flash. So anyways it kernal panics and freezes.

I let it cool down, and start trying to restart it, but it wont start beyond the open-firmware screen of scariness... so I take out my replacement 512MB chip... no go...OK, so I put it back in and take out the OEM 256MB chip... bingo... startup, now I'm here to tell you about it.

:(

They had Apple replace the memory and it fixed the problem. At 6 mos old, your PB is still in warranty and you should take it in and let them replace chip.
Also, highly recommend AppleCare. It may seem expensive, but will be well worth it 2 years from now and the PB starts dying.

Mike

Back